MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Federer's ranking discussion

View Single Post

Old 12-01-2007, 02:24 PM   #178
country flag stebs

stebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Federer vs Nadal ranking points (First post always updated)

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Beater View Post
hmm. i wonder why the draw is done like that.

9-16 are hypothetically all the losers in 4th round. They should be able to play anyone of 1-8. Random?

if this was the case, might as well have 1 always 4 and 2 always play 3 in the semis.
Well the old system used to be 1 vs 16, 2 vs 15, 3 vs 14 etc... and the current system retains some of the advantages of this. Of course it's possible but I suppose it isn't really plausable that places 5-12 won't be changing around a bit so the same people won't always play each other. It is a reward for a higher ranking, reach the top 12 and you won't have to face a top 4 player till the quarters. Reach the top 4 and you won't have to play a top 12 player till the quarters.