MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - S1 - Week 2 - Medibank International - Sydney (MS)

View Single Post

Old 08-28-2007, 11:18 PM   #59
country flag Tennis-Chick

Tennis-Chick has a reputation beyond reputeTennis-Chick has a reputation beyond reputeTennis-Chick has a reputation beyond reputeTennis-Chick has a reputation beyond reputeTennis-Chick has a reputation beyond reputeTennis-Chick has a reputation beyond reputeTennis-Chick has a reputation beyond reputeTennis-Chick has a reputation beyond reputeTennis-Chick has a reputation beyond reputeTennis-Chick has a reputation beyond reputeTennis-Chick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: S1 - Week 2 - Medibank International - Sydney (MS)

Djokovic Through In Sydney

Sydney, AUSTRALIA-- Fourth seed Novak Djokovic is through to the Quarter Finals of the Medibank International Masters Series event in Sydney. The 20 year old Serb beat Stefan Edberg in five sets 3-6 6-3 6-3 3-6 7-6(3). It was a close match by both players, with the young Serb taking in in a tiebreaker. “It was a tough match. It’s good to get a tough match at the start of the tournament anyway. I got a bye in the first round, so this was really like a first round match for me. In the first set he managed to break my serve once to take the set. The next to sets I was mainly in control and was able to win them. In the fifth both of us played very well and neither of us were able to break serve, but I was able to win crucial points in the tiebreak, which will give me a lot of confidence going into my next match.”

The Belgrade native is currently ranked 3rd in the world in singles after a semi final showing last week in Auckland. “It was a good week for me last week, getting to the semis is always great but I want to get further this week. A final would be great and I know I’m capable of winning this tournament. I want to stay top 4 before the Australian Open. That way I will avoid some of the tough players in the early rounds.”

Djokovic is also playing doubles with Roger Federer, the pair are number 1 seeds at the event and face the Spanish-Italian pairing of Rafael Nadal and Potito Starace in the quarters. This is the first doubles tournament of the FMTL tour year. “Roger and I play well together. We have practised a lot together and it’s always been great fun, we get along well which is vital in doubles performances.”

Djokovic will take on Juan Ignacio Chela in the quarter finals tomorrow morning before taking to the court for his doubles match in the afternoon.

Janko Tipsarevic

Louk Sorensen

Markotard No.3
Tennis-Chick is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote