MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Articles & Interviews

View Single Post

Old 06-02-2007, 05:11 PM   #212
country flag karo_em9

karo_em9 has a reputation beyond reputekaro_em9 has a reputation beyond reputekaro_em9 has a reputation beyond reputekaro_em9 has a reputation beyond reputekaro_em9 has a reputation beyond reputekaro_em9 has a reputation beyond reputekaro_em9 has a reputation beyond reputekaro_em9 has a reputation beyond reputekaro_em9 has a reputation beyond reputekaro_em9 has a reputation beyond reputekaro_em9 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Articles & Interviews

Day 6 - An interview with Paul-Henri Mathieu - Friday, June 1, 2007

Q. You must be relieved. It is very difficult to play against a French player in such conditions?

PAUL‑HENRI MATHIEU: No, it's quite difficult. I was a little bit cramped at the start of the match. It certainly is difficult to address these matches. I'm relieved with this win.

Q.
There are two key moments in the match: The 4‑4 game you saved six breakpoints. Are you happy with your attitude?

PAUL‑HENRI MATHIEU: Yes, of course. I mean, I got off to a bad start. I was eager to win, but I was tight and I couldn't go for my shots.

And in the middle of the second set, I mean, I could go for my shots. I mean, the 4‑4 game was quite important, because I saved some breakpoints. Say it was a decisive moment.

Q. So you saved some match points? What did you think at the time.

PAUL‑HENRI MATHIEU: I felt poorly. So 5‑4, 40‑15, I had in mind Canas a few years ago. I thought to myself: It's not possible. I'm not blessed at all on this court. So my first serve was quite good, and he returned well.

And for the second breakpoint, I mean, I didn't control the ball. Then 5‑All, but I was able to come back at 6‑5. My game was quite okay, and the tiebreaker was quite good. So I was able to overcome my fear.

Q. Has something changed?

PAUL‑HENRI MATHIEU: It was tough today, as I told you. When you save some match points at 5‑All, it's quite difficult in your mind. So I won 7‑6, and at match point at 5‑4.

Q. Your physiotherapist came to the court. What did he do?

PAUL‑HENRI MATHIEU: I fetched the physiotherapist. I took some aspirin this morning because of a sore throat. So he gave me two tablets of aspirin.

Q. What about the next matches, how do you feel?

PAUL‑HENRI MATHIEU: I feel good. We should have played yesterday. I'm going to play tomorrow. But with regard to my fitness, I feel well. And it's not easy to play every day. It's going to be a tricky match. But I think that I can win the match.

Q. Do you fear this opponent? I mean, you played against him, did you?

PAUL‑HENRI MATHIEU: Of course, I fear him. He wouldn't be here. The last time I played against him, I was thrashed, so I can remember that. So I need to take my revenge, but I've already beaten him last year. He was injured.

But he is very good on clay. Bear witness his results. So it's going be to a very tough match, obviously.

Q. If you reach the Round of 16, do you think that everything will be possible as Mr. Gasquet ‑‑ as Richard Gasquet thinks?

PAUL‑HENRI MATHIEU: It's true that once you've reached the Round of 16, that's good. If I have the opportunity to reach the last 16 because, when you reach the last 16, it's another tournament which starts. You need to forget about the first week, and you need to concentrate on the second week.

But I haven't reached this stage yet. There is still a match to play.

Q. How can you beat your next opponent? I mean, do you feel that you will have to be better?

PAUL‑HENRI MATHIEU: I mean, it is true that every day is different. It's going to be tough to beat Andreev. I mean, it's going to be a difficult match. I will have to play my game, and that's it. I'm not going to change anything.

Q. In Davis Cup, I mean, you had a bad impression against Russia?

PAUL‑HENRI MATHIEU: As part of the Davis Cup tie, I mean, physically I was not good. I was tired. And I couldn't go for my shots. And he killed me, and I remember that every match against him was unbelievable. But I produced one of my worst performances. So tomorrow will be a totally different day. That's for sure.

KARO;

John Isner - Diego Junqueira - Daniel Koellerer - Santiago Giraldo - Ricardo Hocevar

www.eltenisquenovemos.com.ar
karo_em9 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote