MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Stupid Journalism at Press Conferences

View Single Post

Old 04-15-2004, 04:59 PM   #70
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No Wonder some plays think Tennis journalists are stupid

Some more Muster

The great Muster quote about the supermarket.

THOMAS MUSTER

Q. Why did you decide to come here this year?

THOMAS MUSTER: Because I had a designation.

Q. Do you find that people are knowing you better this year in particular because of reaching the No. 1?

THOMAS MUSTER: Well, I mean, I think especially winning a Slam last year and then on top of it becoming No. 1,, I think people know about me and they have been reading about, you know, the controversy about Andre and myself, maybe, discussions were going on about rankings and so forth, it was quite disgusting. I am still known more in Europe because I play more there.

Q. Did you notice, though, that you had more of a reaction from the crowd since you have been here?

THOMAS MUSTER: Yeah, many people know who I am, yes, especially -- I mean, if you are a tennis fan, I think if you don't know the former No. 1 or 2 player in the world, I don't think you are really interested in tennis, but I think there are surely more fans and more people approaching me for autographs and -- I think so.

Q. I know you answered this previously this year, but players have been complaining that claycourter who would be No. 1 I didn't see you (Inaudible.) Could you repeat what your feelings are on that?

THOMAS MUSTER: My feelings is just stupid argument, from it doesn't matter whoever brings it up because I said that there is no supermarket where you buy your points. Whoever makes the points at the end of the year is there and if you don't make it, you are not there. You see, Andre lost points; he didn't make any, so he dropped back to 7 that easy. So I mean, as long as you are making your points wherever, you deserve to be No. 2 or 1 in the world, whatever. Let us say Pete hasn't won a Slam this year, does he deserve to be No. 1? You can bring up anything you want. He is the best player right now and that is because he got the most points and that is it.

Q. If you could change the rankings at all, what would you do? Would you start a new one every year and not perpetuate --

THOMAS MUSTER: You can do anything. You can go by the prize money like the PGA. You can-- who makes the most prize money, has played most and won the most tournaments, you can do it either way. Start from the beginning on every year. You can do the averages, but there is always going to be argument from somebody. Whatever you do there is going to be a mistake. There is always something for good and something for bad and that is the system we are in right now and that is what we have to play with, we have to live with and that is it. You have to respect that.

Q. Especially in a year like this one where there have been different winners in the Grand Slams, and different people have different arguments why they should be No. 1, do you think this is the kind of year where people just make up their minds who they think is the best player and they sort of have that in their head no matter what the computer says?

THOMAS MUSTER: That is what the computer prints out is reality every Monday. Nothing you can change. That is it.

Q. Do you agree then with the computer?

THOMAS MUSTER: Well, I have to. If I stand on my head now and say it is wrong, it is not going to change because that is what we agreed on and that is why we have to play with it. I mean, the players made the ranking and the players decided what is happening on the Tour, so why should we complain afterwards. It's a federalistic system where you vote and that is it.

Q. We believe in that here.

THOMAS MUSTER: Well, that is good.

Q. In your career you never went out on the court against a player you thought you had no chance to beat?

THOMAS MUSTER: No, I can stay in the locker room; take a shower right away and go away.

Q. Can you talk about how it is different for you when you come out here and play a tournament in the United States as opposed to what things are like are in Europe? I mean, do you just have a different feeling about it? Are you uncomfortable? What are the differences?

THOMAS MUSTER: It is like American players go to Europe, they don't feel uncomfortable, but it is not where they are living. It is not their culture. It is not -- it is just different for them to stay over there for 7, 8 weeks and it is the same for us coming here. It is not what we are used to in Europe. We are used to different tournaments. We are used to just different things and that is what makes it difficult. It is just a question of how you adjust and some players like to stay like Jim Courier likes to stay in Europe a lot. I don't know, the other guys, they like to be in the States a lot. It is just different anyway.

Q. Do you struggle with it when you come here?

THOMAS MUSTER: No, I don't have a problem with it, no. It is not that I am staying here for weeks anyway, for 10 weeks or -- some guys they just play in the States, some Europeans they just play in the States. For me it is not -- it is not affecting me too much.

Q. How much did your life change this year, I mean, did you sort of move into a whole new superstar kind of stratosphere when you became No. 1?

THOMAS MUSTER: Oh, sure, I am superstar.

Q. Like hiring security guards, all that kind of stuff?

THOMAS MUSTER: Yeah, sure. I have a limousine driver. I have security. I have locked up my doors (kiddingly). No, nothing has change in my life. As I said, I won the French when I was 28 or 27. I became No. 1, at 28, so I think I am too much experience and mature probably to have any kind of fantasy with this and any reason to freak out.

It is just probably if you become No. 1 when you are 19 or 20, it is difficult because everything comes on top of you because you make more money and this and that, so it is quite hard to take, but what, it is going to change my life? I have played for ten years before or eleven years and --

Q. Do you walk unnoticed on the streets?

THOMAS MUSTER: I mean, I don't know. I don't realize. If people look at me, it is fine. In Europe, people recognize me more than over here or more than Australia, probably, but that is something which is all right. But I got to live with it anyway. I don't think it is really bothering me. I am not just -- I think I have the right to go out there and go on the street whenever I want. That is it and I just -- I don't think I need to hire anybody. Nobody is going to steal me anyway.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote