MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Jamie 'Stretch' Murray thread

View Single Post

Old 11-24-2006, 05:11 PM   #56
country flag Sweet4Richard

Sweet4Richard has a reputation beyond reputeSweet4Richard has a reputation beyond reputeSweet4Richard has a reputation beyond reputeSweet4Richard has a reputation beyond reputeSweet4Richard has a reputation beyond reputeSweet4Richard has a reputation beyond reputeSweet4Richard has a reputation beyond reputeSweet4Richard has a reputation beyond reputeSweet4Richard has a reputation beyond reputeSweet4Richard has a reputation beyond reputeSweet4Richard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jamie Murray thread

Elder Murray aims for cup double

Jamie Murray teams up with brother Andy for the second annual Scotland-England clash hoping to cement a regular place in Britain's Davis Cup team.
The pair take on Greg Rusedski and James Auckland, Britain's second ranked doubles player, as part of the 2006 Aberdeen Cup, starting on Saturday.

"It's a great chance for us," said 21-year-old Jamie.

"We're up against a strong pairing in Greg and James, so it's a great opportunity to show what we can do."

Murray will play three times over the weekend, beginning with a singles match against Aukland, followed by the doubles with Andy and a mixed doubles with Elena Baltacha.

The Murray brothers have been tipped as a potential Davis Cup pairing under captain John Lloyd.

And Jamie, already Britain's top-ranked doubles player, is relishing the chance to team up with his younger brother after some promising outings on the ATP Tour this year.

"Last year's Aberdeen Cup was the first time we'd played alongside each other in quite a while and we've since gone on to play together three or four times on the ATP Tour," he said.

"It's been good fun and we've played pretty well as a team.

"We managed to get to the final in Bangkok and the quarters in Tokyo.

"We lost the final in Bangkok on a final set tie-break and had some good wins to get that far so we were pleased with how we performed."

Jamie finished the year at a career-high world No.77 in the ATP doubles rankings and has decided to focus his efforts on this form of the game.

"My aim is to be one of the top doubles players in the world," he said.

"I want to be playing at the very highest level for years to come. Doubles is definitely where I see myself making a career in the sport."

Jamie and Andy are now Britain's top-ranked players in doubles and singles respectively.

Their busy playing schedules have kept them apart for much of the 2006 season.

But Jamie is looking forward to being reunited with his brother and leading Scotland to the retention of the cup following last year's 4.5-2.5 victory in the Granite City's at the AECC Press and Journal Arena.

"It's good to be back," he said. "We had a great time last year and the event was a big success."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/6173238.stm

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾

Richard "the Federer of Nottingham" Gasquet

Edouard Roger-Vasselin
Sweet4Richard is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote