MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Chuuuuuuuuuuucho in Davis Cup, you aren't the scapegoat for the loss

View Single Post

Old 09-24-2006, 09:48 AM   #51
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chuuuuuuuuuuucho in Davis Cup

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/mai...4/stdav224.xml

Acasuso heroics help Argentina reach final

Argentina reached the Davis Cup final for the second time when victory in the doubles gave them an unassailable 3-0 lead over Australia in Buenos Aires yesterday.

David Nalbandian, a former runner-up at Wimbledon, and Agustin Calleri beat Paul Hanley and Wayne Arthurs 6-4 6-4 7-5 to put the Argentines, losing finalists in 1981, into December's final against either Russia or the United States.

Russia led 2-1 in the other semi-final in Moscow after the American twins Bob and Mike Bryan beat Mikhail Youzhny and Dmitry Tursunov 6-3 6-4 6-2.

Nalbandian had given Argentina their first point by beating Mark Philippoussis in the opening singles on Friday and Jose Acasuso finished off a see-saw five-set win over Lleyton Hewitt early yesterday.

The second rubber had been suspended due to rain and fading light on Friday evening with Acasuso 4-0 up in the fifth set.

After completing a 1-6 6-4 4-6 6-2 6-1 victory, Acasuso said: "I've beaten higher-ranked players in the past but to win at home in a Davis Cup semi-final with 14,000 people watching me here makes it one of the most important wins of my career."

Hewitt, the former world No 1, said the turning point came early in the fourth set when he squandered three break points and had his serve broken in the next game, before Acasuso went on to reel off eight games in a row. "It was not taking those half chances which made the difference," he said.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote