MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Green Green Grass Time :D

View Single Post

Old 06-20-2006, 06:58 AM   #75
country flag Björki
Sitzen ist fürn Arsch

Björki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Green Green Grass Time :D

Johansson suffered a shock first-round defeat

Number one seed Thomas Johansson was knocked out in the first round of the Nottingham Open by Czech Jan Vacek.

The Swede is the world number 21 and won the event in 2001, but he was beaten 6-7 (6-8) 7-6 (13-11) 4-6 by Vacek, ranked 224 places below him.

The closely-fought match lasted two hours and 19 minutes.

Neither broke serve in the first two sets, but Vacek finally made the breakthrough in the ninth game of the final set and closed out the match.

Following the defeat Johansson said the game should not have been played because of the dampness of the court under overcast skies.

"I thought it was wet and dangerous to play on for both of us, and I told the umpire," said Johansson.

"I cannot do more than tell him the court is dangerous. He said the court was new and that was why it was slippery."

Johansson's fears that a player would get injured came true soon after when Andy Murray's elder brother Jamie twisted his knee during a first-round doubles match.

Bryans || Djokovic || Paire || Chiudinelli || Nalbandian || Hanley || Rojer || Nadal
Söderling || Verdasco || Wawrinka || Simon || O. Rochus || Leo Mayer

Björkman || Arthurs || Edberg || Rafter || T.Johansson || M.Norman || Aspelin
Björki is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote