MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - James News!

Thread: James News!
View Single Post

Old 04-18-2006, 04:38 PM   #176
country flag tangerine_dream
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: James News!

A lousy DC showing and already they've got the violins playing.

Quote:
Notebook: Burnt-out Blake struggling with inconsistency

By Adam H. Beasley
CBS SportsLine.com Staff Writer

These days, losing to Roger Federer is an unfortunate -- but inevitable -- side effect of picking up a tennis racquet.

Federer has dropped exactly one ATP match this season, a three-setter to Rafael Nadal in the Dubai final.

Other than that, he's 28-0.

Two of those victories have come at James Blake's expense.

Tough luck for Blake, but considering the run Federer is on, it's understandable. What is troublesome is the way Blake has responded since falling to Federer in Miami a few weeks back.

Since then, Blake has dropped three more matches in a row. It's his longest winless streak since losing four straight last summer.

Blake fell to Chile's Fernando Gonzalez and Paul Capdeville in the Davis Cup quarterfinals, and then bowed out to Antony Dupuis in the first round of Clay Court Championships in Houston last week.

Blake utterly melted down in the Davis Cup, blowing a two-set lead to Gonzalez on the first day. On Sunday, Capdeville took him out in straight sets.

If Andy Roddick hadn't won both of his matches, the U.S. would have been out of the event early again.

Haven't heard of Dupuis? That's because he has spent 2006 banging away at events in places like Belgrade and Sarajevo. Dupuis entered the Houston tournament ranked 159th in the world, had not won an ATP match all year, and then lost to Fernando Vincente in Round 2.

Some think Blake overextended himself this spring, competing in 31 matches in 3˝ months. He also played on three different surfaces -- hard in Miami, grass in the Davis Cup and clay in Houston -- in four weeks.

"It's tough to (go) from Davis Cup -- the highs and lows -- and come to a different surface," Blake said after losing to Dupuis. "It's part of the job, but I think I'm getting better at it. He served great. That took me out of my rhythm."

If time off is what he needs, he's about to get it.

Blake's next match isn't until the Rome tournament in May. Word is he decided to take a week off from tennis completely after his early exit in Houston.

Blake, who has two tour titles this year and is ranked seventh in the world, still is the sport's best hope for an American rival to Roddick.

But after Roddick's inspired Davis Cup play and Blake's three-week losing streak, it may take a run through Roland Garros -- where Blake has never advanced past the round of 64 -- for that storyline to truly develop.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img9380641.jpg (8.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg img9380651.jpg (9.0 KB, 1 views)
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums
tangerine_dream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote