MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - What is said about Richard...

View Single Post

Old 04-14-2006, 01:20 PM   #24
country flag williaer

williaer has a reputation beyond reputewilliaer has a reputation beyond reputewilliaer has a reputation beyond reputewilliaer has a reputation beyond reputewilliaer has a reputation beyond reputewilliaer has a reputation beyond reputewilliaer has a reputation beyond reputewilliaer has a reputation beyond reputewilliaer has a reputation beyond reputewilliaer has a reputation beyond reputewilliaer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is said about Richard...

Roger Federer talking about Richard (from the AO program this year) - sorry if there are typo's but I'm doing a type up...

----

When Richard beat me (in the quarter-finals of last year's Monte Carlo Masters), it shouldn't have been a big surprise. I already saw him play extraordinary shots before. I know I was supposed to be the favourite, but not as much as people thought. I know he said before that match that I was his idol, but that didn't change anything for me. I approached that match like any other match. I saw during that match that he was able to remain for a long time at the same high level.

I couldn't quite understand the way he was playing. In the beginning he was pushing the ball, then in the second (set), he was just hitting clean winners all the time. You just don't face opponents like that these days. He really played into this zone where you had the feeling there was no more you could do.

Maybe people expected too much too soon from Gasquet. It was similar with me, so I know exactly what he was going through. I hope for him that he's had good times off the court also. Maybe now it's all tennis business for him. He's showed how well he can play and that he wants to get to the top. That is a good sign for him.

He stands very far back, which works on clay but might not work on hardcourts, and he's got a great backhand, a fantastic backhand. He can really hit is extremely hard, you know, both ways - up the line and crosscourt - and he returns well, especially off the second serve. That's the way he plays. He commits to take a chance. It's always tough to tell who's got the best shots, especially backhand, because we've got one-handed players, we've got two-handed players. But when it comes to one-handed backhands, his is definitely one of the best I've ever seen.

He's a very dangerous player. He's definitely got the tools, you know. It's a matter of consistency. With him and Rafael Nadal coming through, it's an interesting time for tennis.
williaer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote