MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - JONAS BJORKMAN

Thread: JONAS BJORKMAN
View Single Post

Old 12-23-2005, 08:53 AM   #1321
country flag Björki
Sitzen ist fürn Arsch

Björki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: JONAS BJORKMAN

from JB's Homepage

2005-12-22 2005 in review
Time to recap the year that went by.

2005 had a difficult start with the tragical tsunami disaster that threw long shadows also over the first tournament of the year in Chennai, India. The fact that I changed doubles partner to Max Mirnyi caused some turbulence, and I also fought against injurys and sickness.
The second part of 2005, though, everything turned around. I won the French Open for the first time with Max, and also my first singles title since Nottingham 2002 in Vietnam. In total I won 5 doubles titles and 1 singles title during the year. I go into 2006 ranked 62 in the world in the singles, and 2nd together with Max and 3rd as an individual doubles player. Not too bad for an old man, if you ask me...
But it was really close that I packed my bags and quitted for good at one point.
This is my 2005 in review.

Match of the year

Against Irakli Labadze in Indian Wells in March. I had only won one singles match (in Chennai) that far, and had a poor ending of 2004. Against Labadze I was up 6-1, 5-1, but lost my advantage to 5-5 and started to shake like a leaf! Somehow I managed to pull myself together, climb that invisible wall and win.

Close-to-quit of the year

The same match, against Labadze. I was one point win or lose from throwing my racket and fly home. If I hadn´t won that second set tiebreak, I would actually probably have ended my career. Now, I won and beat Thomas Johansson in the next round, and finally things were going my way again.

Point of the year
When I saved 7 smashes and won the point against Olivier Rochus in the qf of Stockholm Open. One of my best points ever! Honestly, you shouldn´t be able to run exactly right seven times in a row like that.

Turnaround of the year
I was down 2-5 in the last set against Thomas Johansson in Indian Wells, but won 7-6.

Misscalculation of the year
Me and Petra finally got a week off together after Shanghai - and managed to spend it during a tropical storm in Koh Samui, Thailand.

Fullfilment of the year

Max Mirnyi and I won the French Open, which means that I now have won all the Grand Slams.

Moment of the year
Thomas Johansson beeing photographed in very small underwear with american-flag-pattern for a (very) personal calendar during his bachelor party.

Victory of the year
And the best decision of the year, when I decided to play the tournament in Chennai, India, together with Mahesh Bhupathi shortly after the tsunami disaster. It was the best way to show our sympathies, and well there we initiated a relief effort, donating our prize money, and shortly the whole ATP organisation joined and together we collected hundreds of thousands of dollars for Unicef.

Song of the year
There are many, but probably "Numb/Encore" with Jay Z and Linkin Park. I have played it everywhere: before matches, to celebrate victories, when I run or am relaxing on an airplane.

Most seen movie of the year
"Madagaskar"! You know, the animation with voices of Ben Stiller, Chris Rock and David Schwimmer. The Davis Cup team saw it 4-5 times in India, I had seen it before, and now Max likes it. Some scenes are still priceless.

Book of the year
Tim Adams´ "Being John McEnroe". Brilliant. And in San Jose I get to play with the original. McEnroe, that is...

Destination of the year
Vietnam. Not only because I won there. I was moved by the the people and the beauty in the middle of all the chaos in Ho Chi Minh City. I have heard that it is a beautiful country, and its history is fascinating. I have to go back.

Haircut of the year
I had made a bet with my physiologist Daniel Hedin that he could shave off my hair if I won another singles title. Do you think he forgot that? In the airport lounge in Bangkok, after my victory in Vietnam, he was ready with the shaver. The rest is a very short, and uneven, story.

50 weeks anniversary of the year
I was ranked as the worlds no. 1 doubles player for my 50th week in May.

30 something of the year
I climbed 30 places to 63 in the rankings after my victory in Vietnam, which gave me much better possibilities for 2006.

That´s all folks.
Have a fantastic ending of 2005 - see you in 2006!

Bryans || Djokovic || Paire || Chiudinelli || Nalbandian || Hanley || Rojer || Nadal
Söderling || Verdasco || Wawrinka || Simon || O. Rochus || Leo Mayer

Björkman || Arthurs || Edberg || Rafter || T.Johansson || M.Norman || Aspelin

Last edited by Björki : 12-23-2005 at 09:04 AM.
Björki is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote