MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Open de moselle

Thread: Open de moselle
View Single Post

Old 10-04-2003, 10:59 PM   #15
country flag Marine

Marine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know from where it comes, but I put it here, cos in english:

*Chile's Fernando Gonzalez and France's Arnaud Clement will meet in the final of the inaugural Open de Moselle in Metz with the same goal. Both will be looking to win their first ATP title of 2003.

Gonzalez, who led Chile to a memorable ATP World Team Cup victory in Duesseldorf in May, hammered Romanian Andrei Pavel, 6-3, 6-4. The Chilean is playing his first indoor event of 2003 and first event since losing in the first round of the Brasil Open three weeks ago. After that loss he practiced hard in Buenos Aires with coach Horacio de la Pena, who's here with him this week.

Clement needed just 67 minutes to beat fellow Frenchman Fabrice Santoro, 6-2, 6-1, for the first time in three career meetings. Clement, who saved three crucial breakpoints at 2-2, 0-40, in the first set against Santoro, is through to his second ATP final of 2003 after losing to Sjeng Schalken at 's-Hertogenbosch in June.

The Frenchman is looking to win his second career ATP title after Lyon in 2000. Clement has had a solid season in 2003 despite a right wrist injury that kept him out of the circuit until March. He could not play tennis with his right hand so he kept in shape by playing left-handed and even entered a national tournament in France playing with his left hand!

Clement is here with his coach Remi Barbarin, father Henri, and girlfriend Camille Pin, a WTA player.

WHAT THE PLAYERS SAID

Arnaud Clement: "The goal is not to reach the final but to win it. The most important match is the final. I've won only one title in my career and lost four finals so I'm very hungry. Lyon 2000 feels like a long time ago..." http://www.fft.fr/evenements2003/Met...io/clement0410

"(Fernando) is very unpredictable. He can hit the first serve at 110 kmh and the second at 220...He's one of the hardest hitters on the circuit."

About the semifinal: "It was a strange match, Fabrice was probably tired from his matches this week and I played solid tennis right from the beginning. I did not give him any chances. I'm really happy because I've played four different kinds of players this week and adapted well to all styles."

About the French success in Tokyo, Moscow and Metz this week: "There's a lot of talent in France, a lot of very good players that can have great results. The season had not been very good but now we're picking up again."

Fernando Gonzalez: "I got here on Friday before the tournament so I had time to get used to the court. It's hard indoors and slow so I like it. It's my first indoor event of the year and this gives me a lot of confidence for the rest of the season. I'm lucky that I play well on all surfaces, maybe only grass I have to work on..."

About Clement: "We've played everywhere! He's very fast, has a great return of serve and his backhand is very dangerous. But I feel confident if we play from the baseline."

About his game: "My serve is getting better and better and so are my ground strokes, especially my backhand is improving a lot."

"It's better if my opponents do not know what I do next on court...I surprise them all the time. And, hey, I like my game!"

Fabrice Santoro: "It was close at the beginning but then he was better than me. I was relatively fresh after all my matches this week but I was rushing too much at the end, I should have been more patient. It's been an excellent week though, semifinals in singles and now I play the doubles final."

FRENCHMEN MAKE HISTORY IN DOUBLES
For the first time in the Open era, four French players will contest the doubles final of an ATP event. Top-seeded Michael Llodra and Fabrice Santoro take on wild cards and childhood friends Julien Benneteau and Nicolas Mahut. Llodra/Santoro have qualified for the year-end Tennis Masters Cup in Houston as one of the Top 8 doubles teams. They won the Australian Open in January and were finalists at the Tennis Masters Series events in Monte Carlo and Rome. Benneteau/Mahut, both coached by Alain Solves, upset the second-seeded team of Gaston Etlis and Martin Rodriguez in the first round on the way to their first ATP final. They won four challenger titles in their career including their last two events in 2003.

Guy Forget
Marine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote