MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - TMC: Andy def. Roger (via Dahveed) :p

View Single Post

Old 11-08-2005, 01:57 AM   #71
country flag Noelle

Noelle has a reputation beyond reputeNoelle has a reputation beyond reputeNoelle has a reputation beyond reputeNoelle has a reputation beyond reputeNoelle has a reputation beyond reputeNoelle has a reputation beyond reputeNoelle has a reputation beyond reputeNoelle has a reputation beyond reputeNoelle has a reputation beyond reputeNoelle has a reputation beyond reputeNoelle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shimmying into Shanghai--the 2005 Masters Cup thread

OK, so Andy was at the charity event (as posted by Tangy in the Pic thread):
http://www.menstennisforums.com/show...postcount=2493

He'd better play Shanghai.

I only recently saw this article about Paris and I'm not sure it's been posted, so I'm only posting the segment relevant to injured players etc.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...859398,00.html
Quote:
Firstly, five of the six marquee players of the men’s game offered their apologies in the form of doctor’s certificates. Then, just 17 months after revering Gaston Gaudio as French Open champion, an exasperated Parisian public vented its disgust by booing the Argentine off the court after an embarrassingly half-hearted performance saw him lose without winning a game in the second set of his quarter- final.

Now tournament director Cedric Pioline, denied the services of Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Lleyton Hewitt, Marat Safin and Andre Agassi, must placate his sponsors and pacify the paying public by presenting a far from enticing final between an accomplished but hardly charismatic Croat (Ljubicic) and an undeniably talented but unseeded 20-year-old Czech (Tomas Berdych, a 6-1 3-6 6-3 winner over compatriot Radek Stepanek).

Apart from Safin, most are expected to be fit for the grand finale Masters Cup that begins in Shanghai in a week’s time. Not surprisingly, Pioline is questioning his misfortune. As a former top-flight competitor, he understood the reasons but it did not diminish the irritation at being forced to change the posters advertising the event numerous times in recent weeks.

“I am perplexed more than angry,” said the 36-year-old. “But something has to be changed. They (the players) . . . are on a merry-go-round that is getting too fast. I know only too well what it’s like.”