Here is a link to an article about the match in Clarins today http://www.clarin.com/diario/2005/10...es/d-06202.htm
I am at work and don't have time to translate all of it - but here is just the bit including Mariano's interview:-
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
-You said a few days ago that your heart was pure. Is that how you beat Mirnyi?
- No, no. I beat him with good tennis because I played almost perfectly today. But I also played from my heart. I am pure heart. It is always the same and I am going to keep on repeating it.
- On a scale of 1 to 10, how did you play today?
- Between 8 and 9. I knew that it was going to be a very difficult match and that I had to concentrate thorughout. In the second Set I lost my concentration a little bit and I almost lost it.
- You seen very content.
- Sure I am if I am playing very well on hard courts indoors. I have already played well in Vietnam, but who is going to say it! And I have hopes. I changed my coach when I reached Number 9 in the world (Guillermo Perez Roldán replacing Andrés Schneiter). That is one of the reasons I won today (for yesterday).
- At Roland Garros you said that you were satisfied to get to the second week. And here in Madrid, what do you hope for here? To arrive to the weekend. – could you be champion?
- This must be Taken little by little considering the players who are here, I am not the favourite in any match on hard courts. Against Mirnyi I was not the favourite and the possibilities were 70 to 30 in his favour. But you can see that I beat him!
- And after Madrid?
- I want to qualify for the Masters. And I have much faith in this. I will go from here to Lyon and then to Paris. I really want to play the Masters.
- Does the triumph over Mirnyi taste something special after everything that you have lived through these days?
- For sure – that is clear. I am of a pure heart.