MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Servus, Vienna Calling Cheering Thread

View Single Post

Old 10-12-2005, 11:30 PM   #44
country flag diligent

diligent is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Servus, Vienna Calling Cheering Thread

The full story from espn/abc:

Melzer Defeats Gaudio in Vienna Tourney

VIENNA, Austria Oct 12, 2005 — Former French Open champion Gaston Gaudio remained in a slump with a loss Wednesday to Austrian Jurgen Melzer in the first round of the BA-CA Trophy.

Melzer won 6-7 (4), 6-3, 7-6 (5) after Gaudio wasted a 5-3 lead in the third set. The Argentine fell to his fourth straight defeat and is without a victory on tour for almost two months.

He won the first-set tiebreaker, but Melzer converted the first break point of the match early in the second set and went on to force a third.

"I was rather nervous at the start, because the expectations are so high here in Vienna," Melzer said. "Breaking Gaudio early in the second gave me confidence."

In the final set, Melzer rallied by winning three games in a row to lead 6-5. Then he took the tiebreaker to win his first meeting with Gaudio.

"It's fantastic to have beaten such a great player," Melzer said. "But I need those wins to reach my goal, the top 10."

Onwards as usual Gaston...

Last edited by diligent : 10-12-2005 at 11:45 PM.
diligent is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote