MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - ATP-ITF Calendar/Schedule Suggestions, Shorter Season

View Single Post

Old 10-03-2005, 08:33 PM   #95
country flag Jimnik

Jimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond repute
Default This should be the ATP calendar

Extending from the idea of an AMS event in Asia, I think there are many parts of the calendar which need to be changed. At the moment, many events are too close together. They're all in North America and Western Europe and some of them are back-to-back (eg Rome/Hamburg and Canada/Cincy).
Here is my proposal:

Jan AUSTRALIAN OPEN - Hard
Feb AMS Buenos Aires - Clay
Mar AMS Monte-Carlo - Clay
Apr AMS Rome - Clay
May ROLAND GARROS - Clay
Jun AMS Hamburg - Grass
Jun WIMBLEDON - Grass
Jul AMS Indian Wells - Hard
Aug AMS Miami - Hard
Sep US OPEN - Hard
Oct AMS Tokyo/Beijing/Moscow - Indoors
Oct AMS Madrid - Indoors
Nov TENNIS MASTERS CUP

Everyone complains about the short grass court season - the gap between RG and Wimby. So why not move the German Open from May to June and change the surface from clay to grass. This way, there can be at least 1 AMS grass event and the grass court season can last 1 extra week.

South America clearly loves tennis and they have plenty of players in the top 100. Surely Argentina can host an AMS event to help encourage Federer, Hewitt, Roddick and Safin to play in South America. It could be held at the end of February, say 4 weeks after the Aus Open.

IW and Miami are known as the 5th and 6th slams so, instead of scrapping them, let them replace Canada/Cincy in August.

And, off course, an AMS event in Asia should be held either in Japan or China or possibly Russia. But I think Spain deserves a Masters Series event so keep Madrid Indoors at the end of the season.
Jimnik is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote