MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Articles & Interviews

View Single Post

Old 08-22-2005, 06:13 PM   #31
country flag delsa

delsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Articles & Interviews

Bit of an article found on the net (New Haven Register...):

PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: AT HOME ON HARD COURTS

Born and raised in France ó home of the premier clay court tournament in the world ó it would stand to reason that Paul-Henri Mathieu would save his best tennis for the slow red clay.

Even Mathieu, who gained worldwide attention for his first-round win over Roddick in Montreal earlier this month, chuckles when he looks back on his 2005 season.

He will take an 11-6 record in 2005 on the hard courts into the Pilot Pen. However, his clay court record is only 5-7, with two of those victories at the French Open. But in the two events preceding the French Open, Mathieu lost in the first round.

His results have been significantly more impressive in the weeks leading up the U.S. Open.

In Montreal, Mathieu reached the semifinals before losing a tough straight-set match to eventual champion Nadal. In Cincinnati, he ousted Tommy Haas before being eliminated by Nikolay Davydenko.

"Yes, 10 times better results on hard courts," Mathieu said after his win over Haas. "I think Iím better on the fast surface. But when I am very good physically, Iím good on clay court, too."

Mathieuís serve, which appears to be getting faster and more effective in each passing week, can be credited for his strong performance during the North American summer hard-court season.

"I have started to serve really good," Mathieu said. "That is the shot I have improved a lot in the last few weeks."

So does this mean he thinks his best surface is HC but his favorite is clay?
delsa is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote