MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Nico News and Articles

View Single Post

Old 08-11-2005, 08:17 AM   #143
country flag GonzoFan

GonzoFan has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoFan has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoFan has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoFan has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoFan has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoFan has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoFan has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoFan has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoFan has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoFan has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoFan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nico News and Articles

Here is an article from La Tercera :

Massú : "I'm worried about the ranking"

The viñamarino knows how complicated it will be to defend the title of Athens next week.

Nicolas Massú (31° ATP) recognizes that he is in a bad moment. And if he thought that a rise began after two semifinals in the European clay (Gstaad and Kitzbühel), today he feels that he gave one step back. he comes to lose in the second round in Washington (First round bye) and lost in the debut of Montreal, Tuesday against the German Nicolas Kiefer. It has been a hard passage of the clay to the cement, perhaps more difficult of which he thought. All this added to an ominous year, full of injuries and that have him at a difficult moment. And thus he assumes it, like also the consequences to feel below the player who was nine of the world in 2004.

"I have had three complicated injuries in a short time. I am not the same one that I was before, but if I am not it is only because of health. At the end of the last year I played incredible and in the preseason I also felt incredible. It is difficult, in addition, because when I began to feel better, when I began to feel the ball, I had to change to hardcourts and in this surface I had only one match in Australia in the year and that changes all the scheme to me ".

In spite of the good clay results do you still feel that you don't recover your best form?

So that people understand well, today I feel playing a second later that before, with less reflections and something weaker. But I can say that I have been much more strong that for the last two months, when I lost in first round, and made two semifinals of a ATP Tour. That was in claycourts and now it has been harder in fastcourts and more here, in Canada, that its fastest. But the moment will come that I will be feeling the same as before the injury. I do not know if will be the next week, or at the end of year, I do not know. Before I was like a panther, I could move from there to here, to everywhere in the court. And since the injuries I do not feel that agility.

I imagine that to feel like that, in a tennis player like you, who bases his game on the physicist, it must be hard...

Mentally I feel well. I am even surprised, because I have never felt badly. Yes I must recognize that after the defeat against Kiefer I stuck a hard blow. It hurt to me, not to lose again in first, but because I came in rise, I was wating for more, I made it bad and that hurts. One is excited, thinks that it is close... But I must move on. I am training more than before, because I know that I need to do it. Before, when it was well, I measured a little, now I cannot.

In Cincinnati, you defend 450 points from the Olympics. Are you worry about leaving the group of the first 50 players if you lose in first round ?

It worries to me and I could not say no. It is obvious that yes, but now that is in second place, although normally had to be first. That is, the more than I can go away is to 50º or 55º. And between being 30º and 50º, the only difference is that perhaps I do not enter to the tournaments and I will have to play qualies.

It is a "important punishment"...

But I assumed that and I would not have problems in playing qualies. I have left Cincinnati to reach a final or semifinal and enter direct to Madrid and Paris (last Masters Series of the year). If I play good I'll enter and if it not I'll play qualies ...

Are you in conditions of reaching a semifinal in Cincinnati?

If I play like I did this week, no; but of what I did in Kitzbuhel; yes. As I played in clay, I thought that I was for great things, but I have left time to train and I am with desire to look for my better form.

Which are the goals for this year?

To finish the best that I can. Last year my goal was to be top ten and I finished 12. And if nothing had happen to me I would have finished top ten. But how the things have occurred, hopefully I can finish between the 50. But if I finish between the 30 or 40, it would very good for me.

Richard Gasquet/Tomas Berdych/Marat Safin/Tommy Haas/Rafael Nadal/Andy Roddick/Marcos Baghdatis
All the chilean players and some others

"Just give 100 percent.
And that's not just in tennis or sports; that's in life.
If you give 100 percent, you'll have no regrets."
Lleyton Hewitt
GonzoFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote