MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Help with choosing new racket

View Single Post

Old 02-20-2014, 11:43 PM   #7
country flag dunlopkickserve

dunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with choosing new racket

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnirowdy View Post
I have tested a few and. I really like the Dunlop 400 tour. Does anyone have suggestions on what type of string. On the one I have now I have no idea what it is but it is hybrid strung because I was breaking my strings a lot with how much spin I was putting on the ball. Any suggestions would be great thanks for the help so far.
I am glad you found a racket that you like. Just like choosing the right racket, choosing the right string is just as important. There are 5 generic types of string: synthetic gut, natural gut, multi-filament, kevlar/nylon and polyester.

Synthetic gut is your basic string solid string. The most popular is Prince Synthetic gut with duraflex. This is a great budget string and only costs around $5 per pack.

Natural gut is a string made from animal intestine and is considered the ultimate in premium strings. However, they run about $40 per set and do not have much durability.

Multi-filament is a very popular choice among rec and high school level players. Many varieties and price points are available. It very arm friendly, but does not have the same durability as most synthetic gut. Popular multi-filaments include Gamma TNT 2 ($10), Babolat Xcel ($20), and Technifibre NRG2 ($16).

Kevlar strings are extremely durable but are very harsh on the arm and do not offer the performance of Multi's and polyester so I wouldn't recommend them.

Polyester strings are the most diverse category of strings. This is what most pro's nowadays use. Polyester offers the largest spin potential and control, but can harsh on the arm, lack power, be difficult to string, and often expensive. These strings come in a variety of colors, shapes, textures, and stiffness's. Popular "standard" polyesters include: Luxilon ALU power, Technifibre Red code, Babolat Pro Hurricane, and Signum Pro Poly-Plasma. Textured strings offer additional spin. They include Luxilon ALU Power Rough, Tourna Poly Big Hitter Rough,and Polyfibre Black Venom Rough. Shaped polyester strings seem to be all the rage now. The most popular is Babolat RPM Blast, but others include Solinco Tour Bite, and Kirshbaum Spiky Shark.

Right now I currently use Solinco Tour Bite. It is a stiff low powered square shape polyester that is at a great price point. I use it because it is cheap(around 11$ per pack or 9$ per set if you buy a whole reel of it). The great thing about the string is that you can actually see the square profile of the string. You can see that it will really bite the ball and add some wicked spin. It is also stiff and low powered so it offers excellent control. It is one of the most popular new strings among both juniors and college players.

I hope I haven't confused you too much, but there are a few more things to go over. First, once you pick a string you have to pick the gauge (thickness) of the string. 16 gauge and 17 gauge are the most popular. 16 gauge has less power and more durability, while 17 gauge has more power and less durability. Since you are a chronic string breaker, I'd recommend first stringing your racket with a multifilament (probably Gamma TNT2 around 57 Lbs) and using that until it snaps with your new racket. Then, I'd restring with a dramatically different polyester string (probably Solinco Tour Bite around 54 Lbs) to see which one you prefer. Once you do that you should have a general idea about which characteristics you want in a string. If you are serious about continuing tennis after high school either through USTA, D-III tennis or even joining your college's club team (which is what I decided to do while in school), I'd consider purchasing both a reel of string and a basic stringing machine to cut back on the costs of playing the game. When string is purchased in a reel it costs an average of $2-3 less per set of string and the cost savings add up quickly. If you have the time and patience to teach yourself to string it will save you an incredible amount of money in the long run. A local club can often charge as much as $30 for a string job if you purchase a premium string. If you buy a stringing machine and reel of string you can string your racket for less than $10. Because a basic Gamma stringing machine costs about $200 (its really only 175) you will make your money back after stringing your racket 10 times. Its also a great way to make a few extra bucks when your buddies break their strings and don't feel like paying a ton of money for the half-a$$ed job that most tennis clubs do.
dunlopkickserve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote