MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Help with choosing new racket

View Single Post

Old 02-19-2014, 10:06 PM   #4
country flag dunlopkickserve

dunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with choosing new racket

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnirowdy View Post
Do I need more weight to generate more power. Right now I'm not crushing my forehand but would like to get some more power. Would it benefit me to get a heavier racket?
Yes, most people need rackets that are above 9 oz to be successful. A heavier racket will generate more power, more control, and more stability if all other things are equal if the user is able to handle the weight. As a senior in high school, you should be able to handle at least a 11 oz racket. Since you said you like topspin, you may want a racket with a open string pattern. 16x19 or 16x18 are probably your best options. Your current racket carries a 105 sq inches head so you may not want to drop down to 98-100 sq inches for more control and stability. Rackets that meet the weight, string pattern, and head size requirements are: the Dunlop Biomimetic 400 Tour (99$ at tennis warehouse), Dunlop Biomimetic F5 Tour (179$), Wilson Blade 98 (199$), Wilson Juice 100 BLX ($129), Head Youtek IG Radical Pro ($119), Head Youtek IG Speed 300 ($129). There are also other suitible options offered by both Prince and Babolat. Just keep in mind that spending more on a racket is not always better. Many rackets stay the same from year to year, so you are really just paying more for an updated paint job.
dunlopkickserve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote