MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - The Other Swiss Players Thread

View Single Post

Old 02-12-2003, 09:11 AM   #452
Doris Loeffel

Doris Loeffel has a reputation beyond reputeDoris Loeffel has a reputation beyond reputeDoris Loeffel has a reputation beyond reputeDoris Loeffel has a reputation beyond reputeDoris Loeffel has a reputation beyond reputeDoris Loeffel has a reputation beyond reputeDoris Loeffel has a reputation beyond reputeDoris Loeffel has a reputation beyond reputeDoris Loeffel has a reputation beyond reputeDoris Loeffel has a reputation beyond reputeDoris Loeffel has a reputation beyond repute

Does hate make it easier to win?

From Ilona Scherer and marcel Siegenthaler

Zurich - 1.6 was the Berner Michel Kratochvil behind in the Daviscup against the dutch Martin Verkerk, when his captain Marc Rosset thought him to hate. Kratochvil changed the game and beat Verkerk. The orange public was pretty angry. Hate the pusher for success in sport!

"Yes, hate can release strong energies and give a certain kick to a sport." confirmed the psychotherapeut and sportfan Thomas Steiner (50). But the Zurcher warns from looking to close to the word "hate" Steiner: "It's about the kompetitive side of the hate and not about the destructive one."

The Psychotherapeut explains on an example from tennis what he means: "World-Nr. 1 Lleyton Hewitt hates his opponent during a game. He gets terribly angry about the guy on the other side of the net, wants to show him who's best. That's pushing him. But he doesn't hate the person he's playing against."

Even against the Swiss Roger Federer Hewitt produces hate feelings on the court. Despite they are actually friends. (Hmmmm are they??)

Hate also releases energies, gives a kick. Steiner sees yet an other advantage of hatefeelings during a competition. "Hate can give you courage. And this curage pushes away the fear of a loss."

On this card Marc Rosset was betting on sunday at the decisive 5th match at the score 1:6. With Success! As soon as the introverted and with losses familiar Kratochvil started to hate ("By 10000 hostile fans one has to set free agressions" so Michel yesterdey) he turned the match and won it. The entry into the quarterfinal against france was perfect!

Jakob Hlasek confirms Steiners explications: "On the court the situation for the players is like it was for the gladiators in the arena. Even Psycho tricks belong to it.

Myriam Casanova: "It's my ambition to push the ball once more over the net than my adverser. Even more explicit Patty Schnyder: "I go on the court with the clear intention: I want to beat my adverser! I want to show from the very first ball that I want to dominate the game."
That's how kompetitive hate grows.
Doris Loeffel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote