MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Please explain to me how Noam Okun got a "Lucky Loser" spot.

View Single Post

Old 07-27-2005, 04:15 PM   #7
mad1town

mad1town has a reputation beyond reputemad1town has a reputation beyond reputemad1town has a reputation beyond reputemad1town has a reputation beyond reputemad1town has a reputation beyond reputemad1town has a reputation beyond reputemad1town has a reputation beyond reputemad1town has a reputation beyond reputemad1town has a reputation beyond reputemad1town has a reputation beyond reputemad1town has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please explain to me how Noam Okun got a "Lucky Loser" spot.

Top100...here is a partical article from the LA Times...SMUCAV is correct.

+++++++++++++

"...There were injuries, illness and upsets on the second day, culminated by the weird sight of not one, but two lucky losers strolling out onto the stadium court to play the second featured night match.

Mardy Fish and Taylor Dent of Newport Beach both withdrew from the tournament earlier in the evening, which resulted in the insertion of Dmitry Tursunov of Russia and Noam Okun of Israel into the draw, who had both lost in qualifying. Fish and Dent were supposed to play each other after top-seeded Andre Agassi defeated another lucky loser, Jean-Rene Lisnard of France, 6-1, 6-0, in the first round.

Dent cited the heat exhaustion he suffered in Indianapolis on Sunday, which forced him to quit playing in the third set of the final against Robby Ginepri. Fish, meanwhile, said his wrist injury was still healing.

And so, Okun may have been the luckiest loser considering he went out in the first round of qualifying, but had the wisdom (or vision?) to put his name on the lucky loser sign-in sheet. Though Tursunov beat Okun, 6-1, 6-2, in 53 minutes, Okun still earned $3,650 for the effort..."
mad1town is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote