MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - World Group Play-off: Australia at Poland (September 13-15, 2013)

View Single Post

Old 09-03-2013, 06:57 AM   #6
country flag SKozak

SKozak has a reputation beyond reputeSKozak has a reputation beyond reputeSKozak has a reputation beyond reputeSKozak has a reputation beyond reputeSKozak has a reputation beyond reputeSKozak has a reputation beyond reputeSKozak has a reputation beyond reputeSKozak has a reputation beyond reputeSKozak has a reputation beyond reputeSKozak has a reputation beyond reputeSKozak has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: World Group Play-off: Australia at Poland (September 13-15, 2013)

Opinions from the prior threads (mainly in GM section):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marto View Post
Poland vs. Australia should be interesting
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitt =Legend View Post
Could have been worse for us bogans. Janowicz at home will be fired up and Matkowski/Fyrstenberg are a formidable doubles combination. Will need to bring back Gooch for that one. B-Nard and Hewitt should be able to get it done in singles against Kubot/Prriezzhugnewyyyy though..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timot View Post
Yes! Janowicz v Tomic could be a blockbuster.
Both teams are similar in terms of level, but I hope doubles and home crowd will give Poles the edge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowManyTimes View Post
Janowicz vs Tomic = dream draw.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 156mphserve View Post
Australia vs. Poland - This is the match I'm looking forward to the most. Jerzy should beat the Matosevic, and Tomic should beat Kubot. The other 2 singles matches are quite close. I'm guessing Australia probably needs both as I think Fyrstenberg/Matkowski is too strong for anything Australia will bring, especially since it's in Poland. Jerzy will scream Tomic into submission, and Tomic will probably have mentality checked out for the season by that point anyway. Another tough playoff draw for Australia. Dead rubber doesn't get played. 3-1 Poland
Quote:
Originally Posted by uxyzapenje View Post
Poland v Australia
Match of the round for me. Poles take the doubles, Janowicz and Tomic both beat Kubot and whomever plays for Australia (except if Hewitt rolls back the time). Chances for Kubot to beat Australian #2 are the same as for Au #2 to beat Janowicz. I'll say 1 point each there. Tomic-Janowicz will decide. Hmmmm hard one. If Tomic shows up, then he wins, if Tomug shows up, Janowicz takes it. Lets put hopes into Tomic and say 3-2 Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Groove View Post
Janowicz-Tomic in Poland will be the match of the round
Quote:
Originally Posted by 156mphserve View Post
(Reply to uxyzapenje) I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here. First you say you expect Jerzy to beat Aussie #2, and then you say that the chances of the Aussie #2 to beat Jerzy is the asme as Kubot to beat Aussie #2.

Are you saying you think Kubot will lose to Aussie #2 since you think Aussie #2 will lose to Jerzy?

imo Jerzy should beat Matosevic(the Aussie #2 this past weekend), but Matosevic/Kubot is much closer than Jerzy/Matosevic is. Poland 2-0 here is as likely as 1-1 imo.

I agree with pretty much everything else you said
Quote:
Originally Posted by atennisfan View Post
Can't wait for Jerzy-Bnard match as well. but I think Jerzy's Jerky Emo will be his undoing and he will lose to calm Tomic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by uxyzapenje View Post
Yes, I think Kubot will lose to Australian #2. Chances of him beating Matosevic/Hewitt are the same as Hewitt beating Jano imo. It's just 1 match (Hewitt doesn't need to be consistent). If Hewitt would manage to find his form form the AO match vs Tipsarevic this year, I would actually give him 60% to beat Jano. But looking at it overall, Jano vs Hewitt = Hewitt/Matosevic vs Kubot = 70-30% chances. That's why I said 1 point each.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawshank View Post
Poland for last couple of ties choose to play indoors on quick hard. Right now I think it's good to consider playing with Aussies on clay (Conipur for eg.). Janowicz on clay prooved really good. Fyrstenberg with Matkowski won Madrid last year. I think Tomic and Hewitt are pretty bad on clay.
What's your opinion?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitt =Legend View Post
Yeah, clay would probably give you guys an edge although I haven't seen much of Jerzy on the dirt. I think Kubot made the 4th round of RG a couple years back as well? F&M are pretty good on all surfaces. And yeah, Rusty and B-Nard will be hoping it's not clay so there lies your answer really...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
Poland v Australia - prediction: Clay

Jerzy Janowicz bt Matosevic
Lukasz Kubot lost to Bernard Tomic
Fyrstenberg/Matkowski bt Hewitt/Guccione
Jerzy Janowicz bt Bernard Tomic
Poland 3-1 Australia

Australia have a chance to win rubber 3 or 4 against Poland, but then again I think Kubot would win the final rubber anyway.
SKozak is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote