MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Juanqui News and Articles 2005

View Single Post

Old 05-29-2005, 09:48 AM   #32
Lynne

Lynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Juanqui News and Articles 2005

Paris, France (Sports Network) - Marat Safin knocked off Juan Carlos Ferrero in a battle of Grand Slam champions in third round play at the 2005 French Open.

The third-seeded Safin, winner of the year's first major at the Australian Open, posted a 7-6 (7-5), 7-5, 1-6, 7-6 (7-2) victory over the 32nd-seeded Ferrero, who won the French crown in 2003 and was the runner-up the previous year.

Ferrero appeared to have the early advantage on Saturday, serving for the first set at 5-4, but Safin was able to win the 10th game and eventually force a tiebreaker that he would also win.

The second set also started in favor of Ferrero, who raced out to a 4-1 lead, but again Safin rallied and captured six of the next seven games with a big break in the 11th game.

"He was up a break in the first and second set, so I was lucky somewhere," said Safin. "I played a little bit more brave in some moments and the luck was on my side. And just one, two points, made all the difference."

Ferrero dominated the third set and this time didn't let Safin back into it, but the fourth went to another tiebreaker, which the Russian dominated to complete the victory in three hours and 46 minutes.

"He surprised me physically," commented Ferrero. "He was really, really good physically on the court. Doing a lot of rallies with me. He didn't look so tired. And he did better than me at the tiebreak."

Safin fired up 13 aces to his opponent's one and finished with 51 winners. He did, however, commit 60 unforced errors, but had enough to even the all-time series against Ferrero at 5-5.

"I think that he played very well in the critical moments," Ferrero added.

*#16 Ferrero Tard*

Vision without action is a daydream.
Action without vision is a nightmare.

Good Luck Juan Carlos Ferrero, Novak Djokovic, David Nalbandian, Richard Gasquet!
Lynne is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote