MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - The final has started...

View Single Post

Old 01-06-2003, 12:18 AM   #15
country flag TennisHack

TennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond repute

Article (from Eurosport)

Davydenko wins

Russian Nikolay Davydenko won his first ATP Tour title on Sunday when he beat Belgian qualifier Kristof Vliegen 6-2 7-6 in the final of the Australian men's hardcourt tennis championship.

The 21-year-old Davydenko overcame an attack of nerves to win in straight sets and claim the US$48,000 winner's prize.

"Some players are in the top 100 and never get a title, so for me to win my first title at 21 is good," Davydenko said.

Vliegen had never played in an ATP event before. "Even though I lost the final for me it was positive, I know what I have to work on," he said.

Davydenko broke Vliegen's serve in the fifth and seventh games to race through the first set in 31 minutes and looked to be cruising through the second when leading 5-4 on serve.

But the Russian was broken after a nervous service game.

"I said yesterday I could be nervous because it was my first title, and at 5-4 it happened," Davydenko said. "I was nervous but I just tried to relax in the tiebreak."

Reuters

You will be missed, Michel Kratochvil!
TennisHack is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote