MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - The Longest Singles Matches, best of five sets (21st century)

View Single Post

Old 07-22-2013, 02:04 PM   #86
country flag statsman

statsman has a reputation beyond reputestatsman has a reputation beyond reputestatsman has a reputation beyond reputestatsman has a reputation beyond reputestatsman has a reputation beyond reputestatsman has a reputation beyond reputestatsman has a reputation beyond reputestatsman has a reputation beyond reputestatsman has a reputation beyond reputestatsman has a reputation beyond reputestatsman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Longest Singles Matches, best of five sets (21st century)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer16 View Post
Once and for all (and sorry for the triple-post): the OP picture clearly shows the match time of Santoro-Clement being 6:35.
Why does pretty much any other source has it at 6:33?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voo de Mar View Post
You shouldn't be surprised if I didn't add some matches around 4 hours. Usually I count match time from all Grand Slam
matches with solid scorelines on official websites, and later on ATP website there is different match time. I don't know
why it happens often, the same with number of aces
An example of the case at the AO 2004 Safin's time

Code:
Safin's Total Time at 2004 Australian Open - 21 hours 6 minutes (1266 minutes) 

Round                IBM* (& ATP site)  ITF**    Difference
1st RD (vs. Vahaly)     2:26           2:28       +2 min
2nd RD (vs. Nieminen)   2:39           2:42       +3 min 
3rd RD (vs. Martin)     3:25           3:25   
4th RD (vs. Blake)      3:08           3:08   
QF (vs. Roddick)        3:23           3:25       +2 min
SF (vs. Agassi)         3:42           3:43       +1 min
F (vs. Federer)         2:15           2:15    
-------------------     ------         ------     -------
Total’s                 20:58          21:06      +8 min
* - Time according to 2004 Australian Open official site
** - Official time according to umpire’s scorecard (via ITF Media Notes)

But also on the ATP official site in the Safin's career highlight section i found this info - "2004 - Began 
season as runner-up at Australian Open (l. to Federer)...Played a total of 21 hrs. and six mins. and his 30 
sets played was most in a Grand Slam in Open Era, tying Harold Solomon's mark set at Roland Garros in 1976". 

So it's a bit weird that in one site we have two variants of infos. They get the time stats via IBM, while 
21h 06m - via ITF post-tournament info.
I think the main difference is that the umpire on his device and the IBM-staff (who started supporting grand slams in 90's) on the tennis court timer, start the time differently. The chair umpire starts the time when calls "time" right after warm-up, while IBM may start the stopwatch after umpire says "play" right before the 1st serve, or maybe something else.
The official time in any case is determined by a umpire’s scorecard, not by on-court timer
statsman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote