06-23-2013, 01:43 AM
Join Date: Jan 2005
Re: Bernard's Articles and News
I want my dad by my side, says Bernard Tomic
June 23, 2013 11:25AM
BERNARD Tomic has revealed for the first time he's struggling to cope with the ban imposed on his father and coach and has slammed the ATP over its handling of the issue.
It comes as officials announced John Tomic's tour suspension will remain in place until at least May next year.
As he prepares to play at Wimbledon without his father by his side, Bernard Tomic says the ATP has not fully considered his welfare by implementing the ban.
"Truly from my side, they're not doing the right thing," Tomic told AAP.
"As a player, they should be protecting me and doing the best for me.
"I'm an upcoming player that's doing well and they have to be supporting me and to see what they're doing towards me is not good.
"He is my coach and I've lost a coach now that should be travelling with me on the tournaments and going to my matches and it's difficult, the feeling is not the same.
"I'm on my dad's side and always will be."
John Tomic's tour credentials have been suspended since he was charged with allegedly assaulting Bernard's former training partner, Frenchman Thomas Drouet, during the Madrid masters.
He denies assault, saying he was acting in self defence, and the case will be heard in a Madrid court in October.
Under ATP rules, it is up to individual tournaments to decide if he can attend events as a spectator.
He did so at grass-court events in Queen's and Eastbourne last week but he has been barred from attending Wimbledon, as he was at Roland Garros last month.
While Bernard has insisted until now he's been able to remain focused on tennis despite the drama of recent months, he has revealed his frustration at the situation.
"Truly it does (affect me). It's always a bit of a worry and you're thinking about that stuff deep down inside," he said.
"It's not easy to see. My dad is my coach, he's my dad and the issues we've faced the last couple of months, to see that happen is very difficult as a player and someone that's competing in tournaments.
"I don't know how the ATP came to what they did but it wasn't very good from them."
ATP officials had been carrying out their own investigation into the incident and told AAP on Saturday the suspension would last until at least May 2014.
"Our investigation into the incident has concluded and John Tomic's credential privileges remain suspended at ATP events for a 12-month period from when the incident took place (May 4, 2013). The suspension will be reviewed at the end of the 12-month period," the ATP said in a statement.
Bernard Tomic says his father will remain his coach, but the ATP's latest decision will continue to complicate matters.
Tomic recently revealed he'd made several changes to his coaching staff, drafting in Eugenio Forchione, Ivan Dimitrijevic and Harry Skinner as part of his support team.
Tennis Australia's head of professional tennis Todd Woodbridge said he would meet with Bernard Tomic and his father after Wimbledon to discuss the coaching situation.
"Obviously plans need to be made for what they think Bernard needs," Woodbridge told AAP.
"The other part is that you want an athlete to take ownership of their career too. Bernard is maturing in age and he's got to give input about that person and who that might be.
"He's still not sure about that, so there's still a bit of looking and probing about where and who and what might happen in those roles."
Tomic opens his Wimbledon campaign against 21st seeded American Sam Querrey on Tuesday.