MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - 2013 Fall Season, Regroup! Allez!

View Single Post

Old 04-29-2013, 10:41 AM   #1042
country flag Casp83

Casp83 has a reputation beyond reputeCasp83 has a reputation beyond reputeCasp83 has a reputation beyond reputeCasp83 has a reputation beyond reputeCasp83 has a reputation beyond reputeCasp83 has a reputation beyond reputeCasp83 has a reputation beyond reputeCasp83 has a reputation beyond reputeCasp83 has a reputation beyond reputeCasp83 has a reputation beyond reputeCasp83 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2013 Spring European Clay Season, Allez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilleSimonAddict View Post
You may be right about that. Especially these days, but to be fair, and I don't want to speak for anyone else here, but for me personally, I don't like him based on his wins/losses or notable title wins. I like him not only as a tennis player but as a human being. He's a great guy and I don't really find myself liking guys like Nadal or Federer as favorites. It's too easy. They win everything of significance and it starts to get/feel old. I know it's not fair but it's true in terms of how I feel. I'm much more excited when Gilles manages to win something, no matter how small of a tournament it may be because it's not expected or a given.

Being a Gilles Simon fan is tough and takes a lot of patience and tolerance for heartache and grief which definitely gets tough. I often ask myself why I put myself through all this, but then all Gilles has to do is smile and say one of his usual interviews with silly ramblings about his game or relative obscurity to most fans or whatever and I remember why. I'm not a fan because I think he's going to acheive Federer like results some day or even once. In fact, many people already think he has more than met his potential and over-achieved which is not something you can say about Gasquet or Monfils. Gilles got a lot out of that scraggly little frame of his over the past ten years. Before Tsonga finally tied him he was the only one of the four Musketeers to have won ten titles. Gilles doesn't really get enough credit for what he has done and for how he's done it which is without God given natural weapons like size, power etc. like a Tsonga. He's had to scratch, scrape, grind and claw his way to success. In fact, Gilles gets more grief rather than credit. Go figure.

Anyway, just felt like bringing some positivity to the thread after how things have been going as of late.

Well, he has a decent career so far considering his skinny frame and results in junior tennis circuit but i don't think he has particularly over-achieved: he won titles by beating inferior players most of the time (maybe not Almagro), certainly he lacks natural "weapons" like Tsonga's serve or Gasquet's backhand (Gasquet's forehand is relatively bad though) but he has natural timing, good technique (way better than Monfils's in my opinion and the fact he's capable to hit the ball hard and his depth of shots and accuracy are a sign of good timing and technique in his case when playing well imo), relatively good technical skills in general, underrated feel with the game and good court sense to compensate that so size, power are important but not essential to succeed in tennis.
And he lost to inferior (lower ranked) players many times during his career even in Slams, where his results are disappointing for him though.
Ferrer is a better example of an over-achiever, he's less talented than many players in top 50 (including Gilles obv) but get much better results thanks to hard work, belief, consistency and stamina.
Finally, as i've said, his weaknesses (mainly relatively lack of spin + serve/first serve percentage + belief and sometimes laziness on the court) will be difficult to overcome as he's 28 but he can already be relatively proud of his achievements considering his growth delay and results in junior circuit (although he did not participate in a lot of tournaments).

Last edited by Casp83 : 04-29-2013 at 07:50 PM.
Casp83 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote