MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Barcelona SF: Nadal roasts Raonic 6-4 6-0

View Single Post

Old 04-28-2013, 03:40 AM   #234
country flag Htom Sirveaux

Htom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Barcelona SF: Nadal roasts Raonic 6-4 6-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaindewslave View Post
Nadal routined Berdych in Indian Wells, his first HC tournament back in a year.
considering the facts that A: typically Nadal is way better on clay than hard and B: typically Berdych is way better on hard than clay, I think it's safe to assume that Rafael has nothing to fear facing Tomas on clay this season
Del Potro maybe, but anyone has to watch out for him
I saw the Berdych match at Indian Wells, and I know which surfaces the players prefer.

My point was that Nadal's dominance in this match was mostly thanks to matchup problems for Raonic and that it would be a mistake to read too much into this match regarding how Nadal will perform against Djokovic as you did. This match says that Nadal should have no problem with big guys with a serve and power forehands on clay, not much else. If you already knew that, fine. For me, I take every new matchup on a different surface as a test for Nadal this year. I'm not going to base my expectations for him on previous years' form, or even matches from earlier in the year on a different surface.

Beating a big guy is generally straightforward for Nadal, but clay requires more stamina from Nadal and it gives his opponents more time to set up their shots. This might have caused a poor form Nadal problems, but it obviously didn't, and I take that as a good sign going forward in the clay season against other big guys.

All I take from this regarding a potential Djokovic-Nadal rematch is that Nadal can execute a gameplan and maintain his focus for two complete sets, two things he didn't do against the Serb in Monte Carlo. That's a good sign for him, but the gameplan he'll need to execute against Djokovic is exceptionally demanding whereas today's was fairly straightforward for someone of Nadal's abilities.

Last edited by Htom Sirveaux : 04-28-2013 at 04:14 AM.
Htom Sirveaux is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote