MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Are Western "first world country" lives seen as more valuable by the media?

View Single Post

Old 04-17-2013, 12:10 PM   #69
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are Western "first world country" lives seen as more valuable by the media?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mug View Post
I'm struggling to understand why you are associating the country "China" with the word "rural". China is becoming an increasingly urban and industrialised nation. Besides, your initial post implied that it is the merit behind actions which constitues whether a story is newsworthy or not, not the location. For example, you said (and I quote) the idea of...

Are you telling me that a Chinese man, entering a public school, stabbing 22 children and elderly women is no longer considered very newsworthy? This can be seen as "a new style of terror" at a public, supposedly safe educational institution, in a Communist country where the possession of firearms and other lethal weapons are extremely inaccessible. So what exactly are you proposing? Is it the merit behind the event that constitues the issue being newsworthy or the geographical location?

As for the rest of your post, you've basically said the media is essentially an example of corporate capitalism, something in which I agree with, so no arguments there.
I do not understand why you are struggling with the concept that the location of a village in Central China could be described as rural China.I did not associate the country China with the word rural. I associated a rural part of China with the word rural.I specifically associated the village where the stabbings took place with "rural". If the stabbings had been in a Hong Kong or Beijing hotel I would definitely not have referred to the location as rural and I might have read more, because I might be there sometime. But a village in the countryside - I think not.
And these kinds of stabbings have become fairly common in China - there is not much new in them. They are typically carried out by mentally disturbed people. I would not class them as a new class of terrorist attack at all.
So I am exactly proposing that a rampage by a mentally disturbed man in rural China is of little interest to me, neither in merit or geographical location. It will not affect my life. A terrorist attack in Boston will.

And again, if you don't like capitalist media, Granma is available online. You can even subscribe. But don't count on extensive news coverage of a rampage by a mentally disturbed man in a Communist country. I am sure the corporate capitalist western media gave that story a lot more coverage than Granma did.

Last edited by buddyholly : 04-17-2013 at 02:30 PM.
buddyholly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote