MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - 2 explosions at Boston Marathon, UPDATE: at least 3 dead, 144 injured

View Single Post

Old 04-16-2013, 04:13 PM   #47
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 explosions at Boston Marathon, UPDATE: at least 2 dead, 23 injured

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castafiore View Post
Personally, I think that this is exactly the right time. Perhaps not "preaching", but it deserves some serious thought.

In Iran, there was a big earthquake. At the moment, they've counted at least 40 people dead (with the fear of that figure being a lot higher). This isn't an attack so not caused by humans but it would still be interesting to see how the media attention compares with the attention given to the storms in the New York area recently.
There's no thread started on the Iran earthquake and I would be willing to bet that if a massive earthquake like that happened in LA or the UK or so, it would have a thread. So, exactly on this day, I feel it's the right time to talk about bias and hypocrisy involved because it is happening right now.

In Syria, people are currently living and dying in horrible circumstances and the news about Syria is spread as if you're talking about the price of 1 kg of oranges.
Perhaps this is exaggerated but IMO, not by much. This involves lots of innocent people and nearly nobody gives a damn, by the looks of it.

Not to say that what happened in Boston is not horrible. Of course, it's terrible. A marathon like that should be a joyful event, a celebration of life.

But on a day like this, when you compare what happens around the world and just how much more importance is given to the US drama, it leaves a sour taste in your mouth.
Those stories are in my newspaper. The stories abut Syria are on going and horrific. None of the problems is that it's hard to get stories out,

Naturally, I don't know the level of the coverage where you live. In the U.S. there is obviously going to be a lot of coverage about the event because it happened here,

I understand that a lot of people posting here don't like the U.S. and resent just about anything they can about it, but if you are complaining about the amount of coverage your country's media give to this event, that is hardly the fault of the U.S.
star is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote