MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - World Group Quarterfinal: Italy at Canada (April 5-7, 2013)

View Single Post

Old 03-26-2013, 11:40 PM   #4
country flag sdmartin

sdmartin has a reputation beyond reputesdmartin has a reputation beyond reputesdmartin has a reputation beyond reputesdmartin has a reputation beyond reputesdmartin has a reputation beyond reputesdmartin has a reputation beyond reputesdmartin has a reputation beyond reputesdmartin has a reputation beyond reputesdmartin has a reputation beyond reputesdmartin has a reputation beyond reputesdmartin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: World Group Quarterfinal: Italy at Canada (April 5-7, 2013)

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarisgalaxy View Post
I think Martin Laurendeau is making a HUGE MISTAKE by having Frank Dancevic on the team he isn't consistent or good enough. I think Jesse Levine should get a chance to play singles. This tie is going to be very tough for Canada because there is no number two guy. The Italians are sold Seppi, Fognini, are in the ATP top 50. Seppi and Bolleri are also a very good doubles team.
Agreed that we don't have an obvious #2 guy ... and the Italian doubles team probably has the edge here (more because Nestor is having a lackluster year & may be showing his age rather than a problem with Vasek). Basically the situation is Milos should win his 2 singles matches pretty easily, and Italy should have the edge in the other 3; so we figure we only need to win 1 of the 3 where Italy has the advantage. So, the reason I actually agree with Canada's choice of Dancy over Levine is that Frank's peak game is better (his demolition of Granollers last tie is an example) but he isn't consistent. But we aren't looking for consistency - just one win.

Bottom line, Levine probably has higher probability of playing 2 good matches than Frank .... but he would still probably lose both; where Frank sometimes plays at level where he wins no matter how good Italian singles guys are playing. We need to take that chance.
sdmartin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote