MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Bernard's Articles and News

View Single Post

Old 03-24-2013, 07:48 AM   #67
country flag Ausie

Ausie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bernard's Articles and News

By Amy Fetherolf

(March 23, 2013) MIAMI - I spoke with Bernard Tomic, who recently revealed that Australiaís Davis Cup captain Pat Rafter has asked him to play in their next tie against Uzbekistan, ending a dramatic standoff between Tomic and Tennis Australia.

Amy Fetherolf: Who approached whom during the talks to get you back in the Davis Cup fold? Did you talk to Pat Rafter or did he approach you?

Bernard Tomic: It was a decision we were going to meet at the Australian Open. I said to him very clear Iíll be ready to play and Iíll be available. I was told that I wasnít going to play the second one. Was a whole lot of nonsense I think, because at the end of the day I said, ďPossibly, weíll see.Ē When I had a chat with him, everything was fine. The last thing I want do is not play Davis Cup. Itís a huge thing for me, and everybody on the team is ready to go now. Like I said, Iím happy to get this chance to play. Wherever it is, Iím going to try very hard, and hopefully we can win as a team.

AF: What was the rationale behind Rafter inviting you to play again? Youíve talked a lot about working harder lately. Was it a result of your improved work ethic, or was it something else?

BT: I think obviously my results the last two months have been really good. Obviously, Pat had to make a decision whether to pick me, and we had a chat. Iím happy he did pick me, and Iím ready to play. Itís amazing for me to play Davis Cup. In the future, I never want to miss a tie. Davis Cup for me is huge. Iím ready to go and to get back on a roll playing for Australia.

AF: So you and Lleyton are preparing to possibly play doubles in Davis Cup? [The pair is scheduled to play doubles together in Miami.]

BT: Yeah, we are. This is the first time. It was a dream for me growing up to meet Lleyton. Now to play with him for the first time in an actual tournament, todayís a very, very cool day for me. Iím going to use it as much as I can to play Lleyton. I learn so much every time I practice with him and when Iím with him. Heís an amazing guy, hopefully we can win some doubles.

AF: You two have been practicing together a lot lately, and Lleyton said that you spent a great deal of time together during the Olympics. Has the relationship between you two warmed up?

BT: The relationshipís fine. Heís an amazing guy. Iíve come to learn the last few years what impact heís had for tennis, not just for me, but for a lot of people and kids around the world. To spend time with him and learn a lot from a person like that who was a former champion, if you can learn from that, you only do yourself good.

http://www.tennispanorama.com/archives/36577

Lleyton Hewitt

Gael Monfils - Aleksandr Dolgopolov - Juan Martin Del Potro - Nick Kyrgios - Jason Kubler - Serhiy Stakhovsky - Gianni Mina - Martin Klizan - Benjamin Mitchell - Borna Coric - Francis Tiafoe - Noah Rubin
Ausie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote