MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Rafachat - Vol. 80: Another great year for our great champion! :D

View Single Post

Old 03-13-2013, 04:54 PM   #1224
country flag -Evita-
Come on, Ernest!

-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rafachat - Vol. 80: It's comeback time baby!!! :rocker2:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castafiore View Post
You're such a know-it-all, Evita.

Everybody that communicates with people from outside the company will have to have a good understanding, if only passive, of Dutch or French. That cleaning lady is just one example of somebody who doesn't need to communicate with Belgians outside the company. I figured that people were smart enough to look further than just one example.
You can do all the quick internet searches in the world but sooner or later, not knowing enough Dutch/French will get you into trouble here if you're dealing with Belgian clients, suppliers.

My long experience of studying and working in Brussels >>>>>>> a quick search on the internet.

FFS, let's change the topic. I'm going out anyway so I'll trust to comeback with Evita teaching me how things really work in Brussels.

Edit: Note to the Latvian: Latvia isn't Belgium so comparing situations from just one viewpoint is futile.
I do believe you that people working in Brussels should know either French or Dutch, otherwise it would be too difficult for them to get around, pay the bills and so on. All this discussion started because of this post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextertje View Post
You surely can live and work in Brussels without knowing Dutch
And I agree with JM here. You may know how Brussels works but I know how my company works. Do you really think a Java coder needs to know Dutch? Why? He's working with computer code and all the documentation is in English and all the team meetings will be in English as well (unless all the participants prefer French or Dutch). He won't interact with any suppliers or clients. If he's more senior he may need to interact with some clients, in that case he can be assigned to a project that doesn't have a Dutch client. But in any case, there are plenty of jobs in outsourcing that don't require any interaction with clients. You do the job and interact only with people from your own company. I've seen it tons of times and I've worked that way myself. And please don't tell me this is different because I'm in Latvia; outsourcing works the same way everywhere.

And last but not least, I'm (mildly) insulted that you would think my company would put up false advertisements. If they say a language is not required then it's not required. I can send you a link if you don't believe me.