MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Rafachat - Vol. 80: Another great year for our great champion! :D

View Single Post

Old 03-12-2013, 01:27 PM   #1172
country flag Minn

Minn has a reputation beyond reputeMinn has a reputation beyond reputeMinn has a reputation beyond reputeMinn has a reputation beyond reputeMinn has a reputation beyond reputeMinn has a reputation beyond reputeMinn has a reputation beyond reputeMinn has a reputation beyond reputeMinn has a reputation beyond reputeMinn has a reputation beyond reputeMinn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rafachat - Vol. 80: It's comeback time baby!!! :rocker2:

Quote:
Originally Posted by acionescu View Post
I think it's a language fit for you
I agree! It's certainly not a language for me. I kind of like that English doesn't even bother with plural you let alone all these other endings. German is bad enough for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextertje View Post
Lovely cat Tom!

Another weekend of ski... Saturday terrible weather, and yesterday perfect... Go figure
Very cool, JM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextertje View Post
Amongst European languages, English is probably the easiest language to pick on the basis, so it makes sense that it is vastly the common one... I wish the French had fought more back in the day to keep it the dominant one though
From my Canadian view, French has fought to keep itself around here. I know what you mean worldwide though.

I thought it was interesting the way they said one's own language is "invading" (my word) English. Like native speakers wouldn't use "foreseen" the way the translater says he sees it being used. Maybe we'd use it ironically that way, but that's it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castafiore View Post
Euro-English vs native English.
Many Frenchies dislike the domination of the English language with a passion and many Frenchies overrate the importance of their language but there's no way back.
I am Canadian! I know that! I also noticed that the only person who did not speak English for that interview spoke French.

Quote:
As good as your English can be, if it's not your native language and you use another language on a day-to-day basis, you still have a disadvantage during negociations and such; which native speakers often underrate IMO. Fast-thinking is so much easier in your day-to-day language, no matter how at ease you are with a certain language.
Definitely.

I thought the Hungarian man made an interesting point when he said that some people don't bother to listen when you speak in a language that is not one of the big ones so he switches to English.

Quote:
Reminds me of an argument I saw in the English press when the UK's deputy prime minister Nick Clegg had a meeting with the EU president Van Rompuy in Dutch. A journalist for the Telegraph (very anti-EU as a newspaper) figured that Clegg used Dutch as a tactic in meetings because Cameron doesn't speak it. and many spoke scandal of Clegg's " dirty tactics", whereas Cameron had nothing to do with it and Clegg simply likes to speak Dutch.

Clegg's Dutch is