MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - "Roddick moves up rankings despite not playing" - Idiotic article!

View Single Post

Old 02-21-2013, 07:08 AM   #49
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Roddick moves up rankings despite not playing" - Idiotic article!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaindewslave View Post
I'm surprised you make a big deal of it, in the majority of the sports in the world it would be extremely bizarre and random for a retired player to gain ranking status after leaving the sport....

it's interesting for sure. granted if you're a tennis fan it's just common sense, but in many sports if you retire you are entirely taken off the ranking and/or it is impossible for you to move up unless you are actively preforming in games

it is fascinating that this can occur in tennis
From memory, I've seen chess players and golfers gaing ranking position after retirement. I've even seen golfers gain ranking points after retirement, because their system is based on average, and as the number of events played the last two years drops you might on occasion get a higher average. This, of course, never happens in tennis. A retired player will - at best - keep his current points, and advance only in weeks where those just above him lose some of theirs and none below makes significant gains.
Litotes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote