MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Lucas Pouille

Thread: Lucas Pouille
View Single Post

Old 02-08-2013, 09:39 PM   #16
country flag Pixie

Pixie has a reputation beyond reputePixie has a reputation beyond reputePixie has a reputation beyond reputePixie has a reputation beyond reputePixie has a reputation beyond reputePixie has a reputation beyond reputePixie has a reputation beyond reputePixie has a reputation beyond reputePixie has a reputation beyond reputePixie has a reputation beyond reputePixie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lucas Pouille

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bulldog View Post
I watched it.

Here are a few things I observed, further to what I wrote following his AO match.

- I didn't realise quite how good his forehand was before. He has every trust in it, and commits to every stroke, and it's pretty secure, save for the odd back-fence ball.

- He doesn't trust his backhand at all, despite it being fairly safe and secure and pretty potent. At every opportunity he runs around the backhand to hit a forehand. Hopefully he'll grow out of it, because if you look at the top guys these days, some of them run around their backhands quite often, but not to this extent.

- I liked his overall aggressive intent. There was a lot of serve-and-volley points that he executed fairly well, he volleyed okay in general. Generally there's a desire to move forward, which is good.

- The most impressive thing was his serve. Very accurate and every time he got the first serve in, I thought he put Troicki in a lot of trouble.

Overall, the match was close. Lucas was going to get broken at some point, Troicki was just too solid, and to be fair to the Serbian, he completely shut Pouille out in his own service games. Return needs to be worked on.

I look forward to watching him on other surfaces and to see whether he's good on clay, or not.
Good analysis.

On the FH side, he's got a good inside-out though he needs to work on the body position on the other side. Slice BH, lateral movement and return are weaknesses currently. Surprising good 2nd serve for his age.

The common point with the two handed-BH and volleys is a quite good technique but a lack of confidence. You could see he tried not to overhit as he said thereafter.

He sounds like a smart guy, lucid with his match which is a good thing.
~♠ Lisnardaire(s) ♠~
un pour un, un pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
Pixie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote