MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Unofficial Live ATP Rankings [in Post #1]

View Single Post

Old 02-08-2013, 01:26 PM   #978
country flag amirbachar

amirbachar has a reputation beyond reputeamirbachar has a reputation beyond reputeamirbachar has a reputation beyond reputeamirbachar has a reputation beyond reputeamirbachar has a reputation beyond reputeamirbachar has a reputation beyond reputeamirbachar has a reputation beyond reputeamirbachar has a reputation beyond reputeamirbachar has a reputation beyond reputeamirbachar has a reputation beyond reputeamirbachar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unofficial Live ATP Rankings [in Post #1]

Quote:
Originally Posted by duong View Post
yes, the ATP has a general principle of points staying in the rankings for 52 weeks (the exception being the WTF).

It doesn't necessarily mean that they are only the result of tournaments played 52 weeks before, there are some "limit" cases :

- futures which are counted in the rankings one week after they happen, then still count 52 weeks later

- zeropointers for not playing 4 ATP500 tournaments in a calendar year which are the result of what the player did in the whole calendar year but are only counted once it's certain that the player will not be able to play 4 ATP500 tournaments in the calendar year. They stay in the rankings for 52 weeks. See Monfils's case who has some zeropointers which will stay in his rankings until july and october whereas he had stopped playing for long in july last year (Del Potro had the same problem when he came back from injury : I really think they should adapt the rule in that case of commitment players who are injured for many months).

The bonus points here can probably be considered as entering the same category.
In addition to that, through seeding, this week's result may impact future results, so they don't completely disappear after 52 weeks.