MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - The Ferrer Model

View Single Post

Old 01-28-2013, 09:51 PM   #17
country flag The Prince

The Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Ferrer Model

Quote:
Originally Posted by duong View Post
that you have a hugely caricatural vision of Ferrer comparing to other players doesn't make it true
I don't think so. I'm sure he himself will admit that he works very hard, but the evidence is clear that he's not a big threat to the top four. The recent semi-final shows this, while Berdych and Wawrinka were able to challenge Djokovic more closely. Please don't interpret this as me saying that Berdych and Wawrinka are better players than Ferrer, that's not the case. What I am saying is that they are more threatening, more likely to cause an upset because they can hit through the top four more easily.

Quote:
Besides, if you mean that Ferrer moves greater than most players on Tour, it's not only because he works very hard but also because of his body constitution and "talent" for that.
Yes, that's true, but on the flip side, Tsonga, Berdych et al have bodies that have 'talent' for big serves. I think if every player works as hard as they can, they will benefit from the skillset that their body is geared towards, so for Ferrer it's movement and agility. Whereas with Berdych and Tsonga, it's strength and power.

Having said that, I still think the more lazy guys can improve their movement a lot, if they were more dedicated. They can't just discount it because they're tall.

Quote:
Never will Almagro, Wawrinka or Berdych move like Ferrer (I mentioned Almagro and Wawrinka because it's not only a matter of being short or tall), however hard they work, that's also a talent.
But they can still take a leaf out of his book and work a bit harder, scedule a bit smarter and know when to pull the trigger or not during a match.

Quote:
But it's far from being the only talent or ability that this guy has, comparing to the caricatural vision guys like you have from him.
Obviously…

You have to be joking with me if you think I would maintain an opinion hat somebody would get to number four in the world just on hard work and superior movement? Look, Bjorn Phau is a better mover than Ferrer, but I'll openly admit that he doesn't have the ball striking talent that Ferrer has. Yes, Ferrer is a good ball striker, but not the fourth best in the world. It's not his main talent, that's the point. Tennis is more than just about technical talent, though. Ferrer is definitely top five in the world these days mentally and physically. One could also argue that tactically he is extremely astute. These more than account for his obvious technical deficiencies which revolve around a lack of power.

Quote:
Just watch his matches against Nadal in Barcelona last year, or against Del Po in Wimbledon, or against Berdych in Davis cup ... with an opened look, and maybe you will understand that this guy also knows how to play great tennis and position the ball in bad places for the opponent for multiple balls in a row, he has less power than others but it's not only that he moves great, even though it's also true and should also be considered as a tennis talent, especially in modern times.
I don't deny that. I'm not a fool who would argue with the fact that he's a very good and intelligent tennis player. Nobody gets to the top five unless they have a mastery over most aspects of the modern game. Ferrer is no exception.

Quote:
Ferrer has benefitted from slower court conditions, that's true, but apart from that, just so many players are unable to just see what he does great, probably because they can't see that tennis is not only made of one shot but of several ones after the other The "tennis boom-boom" is just only one version of tennis, probably the easiest to understand but not the original or purest one.
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I think you're interpreting my article as having a dig at Ferrer? That's totally not the case, of anything, I appreciate what he's done, because if he had the mentality of most of the other players out there, he'd be a perennial 'floater'.

Quote:
In his young time, Ferrer had a very low self-confidence, I remember reading other players (seems they know something about tennis comparing to great MTF experts ) saying that he could play great but just didn't know it. Not only did he work hard but also he just realized his real abilities.
Yes, as I said, one can't reach number four in the world without general talent.
The Prince is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote