MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Will Murray ever win a clay title?

View Single Post

Old 01-26-2013, 10:36 PM   #344
country flag Zepploydath

Zepploydath has a reputation beyond reputeZepploydath has a reputation beyond reputeZepploydath has a reputation beyond reputeZepploydath has a reputation beyond reputeZepploydath has a reputation beyond reputeZepploydath has a reputation beyond reputeZepploydath has a reputation beyond reputeZepploydath has a reputation beyond reputeZepploydath has a reputation beyond reputeZepploydath has a reputation beyond reputeZepploydath has a reputation beyond repute
Default Have we seen the best from Murray on clay?

I've always wondered whether Andy Murray has done his best on clay and since he won the US Open the general consensus is that Roland Garros is the only Slam that he doesn't have a good chance at, but I think there's several reasons why it's not as inconceivable as people think:

+He grew up on clay.
+His coach was extremely accomplished on the surface.
+His forehand has improved so much, even since the CC season of last year. Clay is all about point building and the forehand is probably the most important shot on clay.
+He has injured himself the last 2 years at Roland Garros yet he still managed a semi-final where he lost to Nadal (and had chances) and Ferrer in 4.
+And I know people will say ''but he hasn't even reached a final on clay'' but in the last 2 years (especially last year) Murray hasn't actually played as well at all of the Masters events.

What are your thoughts? Obviously Murray has far better chances at the other slams but surely if he gets a bit of luck ie. Nadal and Djokovic meeting in the Quarters this year or (semis in future years when Nadal inevitably gets back to top 4) then he must be in with a shout?
Zepploydath is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote