MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Do you Serbs regret ideas of Milosovic?

View Single Post

Old 01-26-2013, 04:59 PM   #204
country flag Aloimeh

Aloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you Serbs regret ideas of Milosovic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxas21 View Post
my comment was mostly rooted in the dismissive (not to say racist) way in which that poster talked about Turks and the extremely defensive way in which most of you try to make it appear that there's no turkish blood running through your balkan veins. (impossible for me to believe that after centuries of ottoman domination there is no racial influence among present-day serbs btw. you guys need to wake up and realize who you are first).

all in all, this nationalistic spirit seems rather shocking. get rid of it.
No, of course there's some admixture, but I hope you don't take the fact that Serbs have dark hair and eyes as evidence of Turkish ancestry. They looked like that in medieval times, too, so it's obvious that they've looked like that since settling in the area. The Ottoman conquest of the Balkans did not involve a huge influx of Turkish settlers. Most of the administration were Janissaries, who were local converts to Islam. Most of the settled Muslims in towns and villages were local converts. Case examples: Bosnian Muslims and Cretan Turks, both of whom still speak their ancestors' language, even though they identified with the Turks through their religion.

And while we're at it, I think Turks look a lot more like Greeks, Armenians, Bulgarians, Serbs, etc. than like their Asian ancestors. The original Turks looked like this:

And other than Jelena Jankovic, I haven't seen too many Asian-looking Serbs.

Or are you someone who holds to the Fallmerayer hypothesis?

You can bet Djokovic's mom just screamed "Another king is dead" right about now - in the remotest corner - of her bathroom - followed by "The other one is buried." (from tennisplanet.me, following Madrid 2011 Djokovic d. Nadal 7-5 6-4)
Aloimeh is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote