MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - 2013 Fall Season, Regroup! Allez!

View Single Post

Old 01-22-2013, 07:49 PM   #198
country flag Casp83

Casp83 has a reputation beyond reputeCasp83 has a reputation beyond reputeCasp83 has a reputation beyond reputeCasp83 has a reputation beyond reputeCasp83 has a reputation beyond reputeCasp83 has a reputation beyond reputeCasp83 has a reputation beyond reputeCasp83 has a reputation beyond reputeCasp83 has a reputation beyond reputeCasp83 has a reputation beyond reputeCasp83 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2013 Australia, new adventure begins in Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilleSimonAddict View Post
I don't know. I think there is something to it. Why would the US commentators say it if there wasn't some truth to it? It's not like it benefits them in any way by saying it. It may not be entirely true, but perception is reality and if there is any truth to it or the perception of that being the case, then there must be some truth to it. And as you can see, several of us get that perception.

For me personally, I get the sense of it and see it. The FFT seems to much prefer to gush over Monfils and Tsonga these days than Simon. They like guys who are flashy and have pizazz in their game. Who are aggressive and have a lot of power and take the initiative to when rallies rather than counterpunch. Simon is just that other French guy that's out there doing his thing.

Since he offers a no frills approach to tennis (in their eyes) and, admittedly, is pretty subdued on the court, unless he's angry or fidgety of course, showing very little emotion following good shots and not being a braggart, they don't tend to pay him as much attention or mind. That's the way it comes off to me. It was a lot like Nikolay Davydenko compared to Safin and just in general. A great player not payed much attention or at least the attention he deserved given his ranking and caliber as a player. Basically Simon is taken for granted in my, and some others, opinion is the feeling and perception and the FFT and press etc. don't tend to make it that hard to believe that that is the case. At least not these days.

I don't agree with you either.
Clearly, the US commentators don't know much about him or his tennis when he's playing at his best (during the Fish match at the Us Open for example, one commentator asking to the other guy if Gilles always played this way and he answered "yes" whereas he had a shoulder injury and played at about 50% lol, it's just one example) and they don't live in France anymore so...
Also, he's generally well appreciated and is considered as a "good customer" in interviews by the french medias because he's rather an intelligent guy and generally describe very well his matches (i've read some interesting particular interviews from him in l'Equipe Magazine as well).
But, he's clearly less known than Tsonga, Monfils and Gasquet in France by the general public and has slightly less medias coverage because he's less charismatic and is lacking great results in GS particularly at Roland Garros.
Casp83 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote