MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - "Speed up the courts and general court speed Thread"

View Single Post

Old 01-20-2013, 03:48 PM   #53
country flag Caesar1844

Caesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Grinding wins agains, speed up the courts or the sport will die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnet View Post
This must be one of the worst ideas I've ever read.
Not really. It would change the game substantially, but it would mean less servebots, and you could speed up the courts and still have plenty of rallies AND the opportunity for aggressive play.

I mean, think about it. The serve was never supposed to be a way to regularly get free points. It's supposed to be the way to start the point. In every other 'net' sport (badminton, volleyball, table tennis) you only get one serve. Tennis you get two because back in the old days, it was so hard to get a serve in that a lot of the time you missed your first try.

Nowadays with the changed equipment people could easily get their first serve if they had to, so the original reason for 2 serves has disappeared.

I'm not saying it's something I'm in favour of. Just that it's food for thought.
Caesar1844 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote