MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Courier: Olympics = 5th major!

View Single Post

Old 01-17-2013, 11:08 PM   #69
country flag Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter has a reputation beyond reputeSharpshooter has a reputation beyond reputeSharpshooter has a reputation beyond reputeSharpshooter has a reputation beyond reputeSharpshooter has a reputation beyond reputeSharpshooter has a reputation beyond reputeSharpshooter has a reputation beyond reputeSharpshooter has a reputation beyond reputeSharpshooter has a reputation beyond reputeSharpshooter has a reputation beyond reputeSharpshooter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Courier: Olympics = 5th major!

Federer obviously cares about it, so much so, that he wants to make it to Rio 2016.

It shouldn't be considered an actual 5th major, but I don't think that's what Courier meant. I think he meant that it is (in his mind) definitely the next most important tournament to the players AFTER the 4 majors.

WTF is important too, more important than a regular Masters shield but less than Olympics imo. I just can't justify how it is POSSIBLE to lose twice and still win the title. Not sure if that's ever happened BUT it doesn't change the fact that it's possible. This format does make it seem like a glorified exhibition at times especially when you can see players don't really care about it that much these days. (Novak a couple years back was more focussed on Davis Cup as was Nadal at the end of 2011)

THere is however one thing I know for certain, if the WTF was on clay and Rafa had won 6 of them, I'm sure the Federer fans would be singing a different tune...
Sharpshooter is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote