MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - *** The L'Yvo-fanclub ***

View Single Post

Old 01-14-2013, 03:58 PM   #4790
country flag Nymeria
Chiudi-fan

Nymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: *** The L'Yvo-fanclub ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litotes View Post
Really? I've seen a lot of "Holland" where it should have been "The Netherlands" but I haven't met anyone who didn't understand the latter. Though, it has to be said, I haven't tried out all that many....

Most of the provinces had their own coinage until the 1790s. The citys stopped earlier and their coinage is more difficult to obtain. One thing I like about old Dutch coinage is the colourful denominations. I have a 6 1/4 stuiver from Groningen, a 48 stuiver from Frisia and - the piece the resistance - a ˝ 3 gulden from Frisia. You might wonder what the last one was worth. The answer is 1˝. ˝ 3 is taken to mean "half of three". I know of no other country where such kind of denomination has been used.

What flag would you have chosen if you were to join a forum today?
Of course I have to mention regularly that I am Dutch... but I think it is pretty much confusing.
Holland / the Netherlands / Dutch. Why is it all that different?

The collection sounds very interesting, I never knew about these different coins. I should try and find more information about that. Esp the ˝ 3 coin, funny to write 1˝ like that.

Most probably Norway or Iceland. I went to a "holiday fair" last Saturday, collecting information about Holiday destinations. My bf and I are quite interested in visiting one of these countries this summer.

Hopp Suisse!
Nymeria is offline View My Blog!