MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Thanasi Kokkinakis

View Single Post

Old 01-11-2013, 09:32 AM   #55
country flag Dund

Dund has a reputation beyond reputeDund has a reputation beyond reputeDund has a reputation beyond reputeDund has a reputation beyond reputeDund has a reputation beyond reputeDund has a reputation beyond reputeDund has a reputation beyond reputeDund has a reputation beyond reputeDund has a reputation beyond reputeDund has a reputation beyond reputeDund has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thanasi Kokkinakis

Finally got a chance to watch him play in an uploaded video of his match against Verdasco. He's by far the second most talented Aussie coming through after Tomic, and I don't think it's close. Have seen most of the other contenders play like Saville, Kyrgios etc, and while they clearly have more well rounded games, they don't have near as much natural talent IMO.

His serve is excellent for his age, and should be a massive weapon in a few years. Excellent groundies when on the attack also. At this point his problems look like a really poor return game and really poor defensive shots. I actually think his movement is ok in terms of speed (he's quicker than Tomic at the same age IMO), he just doesn't have particularly good anticipation, certainly nowhere near Tomic's. His defensive/rally shots are also often poor falling mid court and down the center.

The good news is a lot of that can be significantly improved with experience and physical development. And to go with the weapons he has a natural flair about his game that reminds a bit of a young Philippoussis.
Dund is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote