MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Bernard's Articles and News

View Single Post

Old 01-09-2013, 07:25 AM   #57
country flag Givenchy
Registered User
 
Givenchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,892
Givenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bernard's Articles and News

Tomic in no rush to play Davis Cup
January 9, 2013 - 6:22PM
Darren Walton

Quote:
Pat Rafter's tough love towards Bernard Tomic could backfire after the resurgent youngster said he had no desire to speak with Australia's Davis Cup captain any time soon.

Rafter last month banned Tomic from next month's Asia-Oceania first-round zonal tie in Taiwan, citing a poor attitude, and now it seems the 20-year-old is intent on dishing out his own retribution.

No sooner had he gained sweet revenge over his German Davis Cup conqueror Florian Mayer to power into the Sydney International quarter-finals was Tomic reopening his running battle with Rafter.

Asked at his post-match press conference why he had chosen to also skip the second-round tie in April - presuming Australia makes it - Tomic said he was in no rush to commit.

"I spoke to him. I was very clear," Tomic said.

"I don't think we'll be in contact until September. From there, we'll see. That's all I can say."

September is when Rafter and Cup warrior Lleyton Hewitt are hoping Australia get another crack at re-entry to the 16-nation World Group for 2014.

It appears, though, they may have to talk Tomic around if they want him back involved as well.

Last September, Rafter publicly lambasted Tomic for his meek showing against Andy Roddick at the US Open, saying he was disgusted in his performance.

Rafter still took Tomic to Hamburg for a World Group playoff later that month, but was left unimpressed again when Tomic was involved in an animated courtside exchange with Cup coach Tony Roche during a straight-sets loss to Mayer.

But it wasn't until last month that Rafter and Tennis Australia decided to take disciplinary action against Tomic.

Relations between Rafter and Tomic still seem cold, with Tomic changing his tune somewhat even since the weekend when he said he would be "more than happy to play" in September.

Hewitt on Wednesday said he was disappointed to learn of Tomic's stance.

"I'd like to have a chat with him obviously at some stage about it, more because I know Pat, he's pretty frustrated," Hewitt said in Melbourne, where he is contesting a pre-Australian Open exhibition event.

"He wants to have the best possible team we can have and Bernie's in that, there's no doubt about it.

"So that's a tough one. Obviously he had to work on a few things before he got back in the tie and whether that's had any influence on him missing the second tie, then I don't know.

"I personally haven't spoken to Bernie about it but I feel like the last year-and-a-half, two years, I'm probably the closest out of anyone with him, which a lot of people would find amazing after a few years ago."

Hewitt, who fell out with Tomic after a Wimbledon practice snubbing in 2009, indicated he was likely to wait until after the Open before trying to talk with his suspended Cup teammate.

"It's not the right time," Hewitt said.

"It's disappointing he's not playing the first tie, but that's for other reasons than Bernie missing it himself.

"There's still a bit of time left before the second one. We'll have to wait and see and that's Pat's call."

Or maybe not.
http://news.brisbanetimes.com.au/bre...109-2cgpe.html
Givenchy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote