MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - NOVAK DJOKOVIC will win the CYGS in 2013

View Single Post

Old 01-05-2013, 05:21 PM   #167
country flag BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NOVAK DJOKOVIC will win the CYGS in 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by philosophicalarf View Post
Safin was a beast and clearly a top-level talent in any era - I'd have loved to see his matchup with Nadal especially.

But let's face it, he was awol half the time, only made an average one slam semi a year at his peak 2000-2005, then injuries did for him after that. Also was never a threat at Wimbledon, and his Roland Garros record is fairly average too - 1 semi, 1 qf.

Nalbandian should have been a similar level threat to Federer, but we all know the story there.
Obviuously both (Nalbandian and Safin) apart from being ridiculously talented were ridiculously inconsistent. I never said Safin's career was brillant and goat level, but at his peak, he could beat any of the current (and past) guys for sure. But injuries played an important part too, Safin may have been the biggest underachiever in the game, but he still would have achieved a lot more despite his lack of consistency if he could have stayed fit for longer periods of time. The injuries didn't come only after 2005. He barely played in 2003 that should've been one of his peak years and a big chance to fight for #1 again and win another slam. In 2001 he was injured too. And still, in 2005 was only 25, he was very young. It's not like the injuries started when he was 30. Had he been fit those years (2005-2009) he would have probably won another slam and stayed rank in the top 10. And maybe he would've retired later too.
BauerAlmeida is offline View My Blog!