MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Rafael Nadal Injury/Health Update Thread : Nadal confirmed for Viña del Mar

View Single Post

Old 01-03-2013, 08:13 AM   #858
country flag Kat_YYZ
Registered Fed fan

Kat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rafael Nadal Injury/Health Update Thread : Nadal out of Abu Dhabi exho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litotes View Post
The idea was that he wouldn't play the other slams. Except perhaps Wimbledon. Nobody has more than one warmup there anyway, and Borg did without even that.
Really? I never got that idea. Many months ago, the quote from his camp was that he would play fewer hard court events: fewer... not NONE. The point would be to save himself for the big stuff on HC like AO, USO and WTF.

I assumed he would skip one of IW/Miami (keeping one mostly due to points & ranking -- they aren't actually warmups for anything as they immediately precede the clay season). Then he would only play only one of Canada/Cincinnati (as warmup for USO) and then he would skip at least one of Shanghai/Paris and play WTF. So if we say: AO, Miami, Toronto, USO, Shanghai, WTF... that's only 6 hard court events per year.

Hard court tennis is a bit harder on your body than clay, but it's not a whole other sport. Tennis is still tennis, running is running, 4 hours of running back & forth, back & forth, is still tough, on any surface. The surface difference makes it maybe 20% easier at most. Either you can do it or you can't.