MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Rafael Nadal Injury/Health Update Thread : Nadal confirmed for Viña del Mar

View Single Post

Old 01-01-2013, 01:15 AM   #794
country flag MIMIC

MIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rafael Nadal Injury/Health Update Thread : Nadal out of Abu Dhabi exho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keech View Post
I'm not sure if someone posted this here before, but it wasn't the stomach virus directly that led to Rafa's withdrawal from the AO. What he said was that the virus caused him to lose valuable training time, so that he couldn't reach the level of physical fitness needed to meet the demands of a grand slam.

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/...705033061.html

I guess he decided there was no point in entering if there was a very good likelihood of another early exit.
Yes, but how MUCH training time?

I'm sure that we are all familiar with stomach viruses. I suffered one of the most debilitating stomach viruses ever imaginable last year and in 12 hours, I felt fine. My condition was so bad that I literally could not stand up for more than 3 or 4 seconds. The pain in my abdomen and lower back was absolutely unbearable and I almost had to go to the emergency room. But suddenly, I had to vomit....and then I felt 80% better, and my condition improved dramatically over the next few hours. Then I experienced a much milder case last month.

These things don't last long. But for him to suggest that he has been crippled to the point of being ill-prepared 2-weeks ahead of time is ludicrous....especially since we see him already on court (a clay one). At most, he may have missed 2 or 3 days of training...and that's not even enough of a disruption to cause him to pull out 2 weeks in advance. There isn't enough training in the world that would substitute for an actual tour-level match (after his 6 month layoff) so this virus certainly didn't stifle any notable success.

Of course, I'm just speculating. I simply believe that it's just an excuse in order to delay his return and make it on clay, rather than a hard court.

Last edited by MIMIC : 01-01-2013 at 01:24 AM.
MIMIC is offline View My Blog!