MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Do you agree with current Australian Open odds?

View Single Post

Old 12-28-2012, 11:29 AM   #30
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you agree with current Australian Open odds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Man Frank View Post
Of course not, but everything is based on statistics and whatnot.

I'm really not smart enough to explain it but I've spent years listening to those that can and betting is a form of science. By that I mean the way in which everything is broken down to the nth degree, such as checking forecasts for upcoming tournaments etc.

There is practically no guess work involved anymore. With regards to pre-tournament odds there is a wealth of stats out there for people to use to price things up.
I'm a professional statistician and have worked on economic forecast for several years with some of the most educated people of my country, and I don't think it's any kind of science. There are calculations, sometimes many ones, but the starting hypotheses are much much more important for the results.